I know its been awhile since I last posted. Aside from work and traveling home to our parents' houses for Thanksgiving celebrations, we've been living a pretty boring lives.
Morgan @ Life as We Know It ... Robbins Style gifted me with the Liebster Award! Morgan was my prayer buddy during Summer Prayer Buddies. She's an awesome, funny, prayerful gal who is also waiting to become a mom someday. I feel a real connection and friendship with her. Thanks, Morgan! I'll be paying you back with prayer! :-)
As far as an update on our first adoption situation, we're counting that situation as a loss. We never heard anything back from the case worker, so they didn't pick us. Its OK. It wasn't the right one. We're still optimistic. I talked to Sue, our adoption worker last week and she said that we can network with other agencies or lawyers and give them our profile book / letters. My MIL knows of an agency in a larger town south of us that helped a friend of a friend. You know the story. But I think I'll call there tomorrow and check it out. I'm not sure what road we're supposed to take on this adoption journey ... if we're supposed to sit and be patient ... but I feel better being proactive, so we're going to go lawyer-exploring. Hopefully we won't have to pay unless we're matched. And hopefully we find some reputable lawyers!
We spent Thanksgiving and the Friday after at my parents' house. My youngest sister, her fiancé and my little brother were there, but we were missing my middle sister, who celebrated Thanksgiving in South Dakota (and spent 24 hours in a car that week, no fun!). It was a pretty fun time. We ate a lot (of course) and hung out. We visited my grandma, who wasn't feeling too good and didn't come over to my parents' house on Thanksgiving. I know she is lonely and missing my Grandpa, who has been gone 4 years now. We talked with my parents about how our adoption process was going and I told them about our first situation that didn't happen. I was happy that they asked, although its a little uncomfortable to talk about ... everyone's eyes are on me, while I tell myself that "I will not cry when I tell this story."
Thanksgiving at my in-laws this year was HARD! We drove down on Friday night about 10 pm and the whole way down, I was dreading spending the next few days there. This was the first time I was going to see my pregnant SIL, L, who would be showing now ... my MIL was going to probably be talking all about the new grand baby ... and I was going to have to participate in family events. My stomach was in knots on the drive down and once we drove into town, all I could do was try not to cry, while praying to St. Anne and St. Therese over and over again to please be with me and help me handle this. I thought of all you bloggers who are IF and were enduring holidays like mine and tried to tell myself that I wasn't alone. It kind of worked. I was still super-nervous. (I like to blow up situations in my head that usually don't end up happening quite like I imagine.) I saw L for the first time, smiled and said "hi." My MIL did enough talking for the rest of the night and I called it a night early.
The next day, at their Thanksgiving dinner, my hubby's grandma showed up. I was excited to see her, as she's the grandma who is IF and adopted her sister's two kids (one of which is hubby's mom; his grandma's sister kept another two). Great-Grandma was excited about the new great-grandbaby (I can't blame her; I love her anyway. She's 92 and has given thanks to God no matter what her situation). So my BIL, C, who's the baby's daddy, was talking SUPER LOUD to Great Grandma about how "yes, L's STILL pregnant and she's due in Feb. on the 14th, what a special Valentine's Day present, etc" while they're right next to me ... ignoring the fact that I don't want to be a part of this conversation, let alone hear it. I left that end of the living room and headed towards my hubby, where I sat and stared at the TV, trying to watch the football game that was on, even though I don't really like sports. I was engrossed, trying not to cry. My favorite "trick" to not cry is to count. I count anything ... pictures, vases, lights ... anything with a number. I count these objects over and over again, to try and remove myself from the emotions that are this.close to exploding out of my eyes and are currently breaking my heart. Then I see the picture frame with the letters "Jay.den" cut out and framed. Its the new baby's name. Displayed in a picture frame that says "Grandparents" on the entertainment center shelving, next to the TV. I couldn't help it. The tears started to fall. My sweet hubby handed me a kleenex and I tried to stop crying. Then, my oblivious BIL & SIL came over to try and talk to the both of us. I had to look away, because of my red, watery eyes. Thankfully, hubby answered most of the questions & tried to take the attention off of me.
The "baby" topic of conversation continued throughout the day ... at the table, on the phone, during games, etc. My MIL is now going to have an unwrapping of "teeny-tiny baby clothes" at Christmas, that I am supposed to be excited about (or something), b/c she winked at me, like I would look forward to this display of fabric. All weekend, whenever the baby topic began, I would find an excuse to get up from the area and head off to do something else. It kind of worked. I still was upset, but I didn't cry anymore. I could still hear their conversations, though.
I take that back. I didn't cry anymore until the last hour with my in-laws. Everyone else had gone home. We were sitting there at the table, chatting. All weekend, the baby talk had been spoken with my pregnant BIL & SIL, and now here we were with my MIL asking about how our adoption was going. She told me about a lawyer who, when he and his wife found out they were infertile, decided they were going to "save children and adopt them." It was that topic and a few other things. I began to count. Then I tried to multiply in my head. It was a rather large number. I am bad at math. I couldn't help it. I just couldn't. I began to cry. It was too much. It hurt. My MIL gave me a hug, but I still couldn't stop crying. I didn't say much, because it was hard to talk when crying, but I just told her between sobs that I hurt. I told her that it was hard to be patient. I hope that she got the message. She apologized and said that she wanted to know about our adoption process, but wasn't sure what to say. I know she meant well. And I'm not mad that I cried. I'm actually happy that she can see how much I HURT waiting to be a mom. I'm not proud of not "waiting well," but I can't bottle up my emotions either.
I told my husband that I'm making myself a shirt to wear for Christmas. I'm not sure what goes on the front of it, but on the back, in big letters it says this, "If you can see me, I can hear you! And I don't want to hear about no babies!" Its not the nicest shirt in the world, but it was honestly how I felt after getting through Thanksgiving that weekend. I'm not sure how I'm going to get through Christmas. I'm probably the most upset at the oblivious BIL & SIL, but I know I'm raining on their parade by being such a baby-grinch, so don't worry, I won't make the t-shirt.
Oh, I love the t-shirt idea. I need me one of those! I wish I could hug you. The holidays are so hard when you have to be around fertile family. I will be praying for you as I endure the super-fertile in-laws this Christmas. I think they are up to almost 70 kids now. Ugh.
ReplyDeleteOh, I hurt for you just reading this! I am so, so sorry. There is something about seeing the light in your parents/in-law's eyes as they speak about grandchildren... over and over and over. And yeah.... all the other stuff. I so wish your waiting to adopt was celebrated as much among family... in my mind, at least, it's a form of expectant parenthood and very exciting even if it's not a predictable 9-month wait.
ReplyDeleteMy Christmas will be similar. I already feel sick over it. I AM happy for others, but it's so hard not having news. And babies WILL be the center of discussion. I thank God we just bought a house so we have some kind of news to talk about (although, of course, house doesn't = baby, but I will probably become a champion at discussing every nook and cranny of our house to stuff down the tears).
Oh, that sounds like a super hard thanksgiving. The wink would have put me over the edge. I hope your MIL will be a little more sensitive at Christmas.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that it was such a hard Thanksgiving! I hope Christmas will be a little less stressful!
ReplyDeleteSorry for the tough time at your in-laws...hopefully your MIL will be more sensitive now.
ReplyDeleteI know exactly how you feel. I don't want to hear about anyone's baby, kid,etc. If I could edit everyone who has a baby/child on facebook, I wouldn't see many statuses!
ReplyDeleteThe only saving grace is that neither my brother nor hubby's brother are anywhere close to having a family. So I don't have to hear about grandchildren. Both sets of parents are keenly aware of how we feel.
I am sorry to hear this and I want to give you a hug. My baby sister is having her second child. Most of the people around you understand the joy of a new baby but they do not understand the horrible pain of being infertile. They do not get it. THe holidays are tough for us. I give you credit for holding on as long as you did. That wink would have done me in for sure.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry that your the first time around wasn't the right one. It does feel like a loss no matter how early. But you are so right! That wasn't your baby. Your baby is out there! I know it!
ReplyDeleteAs for the Thanksgiving family stuff. UGH! Some people!!!! I am starting right now to pray for your Christmas family visits! I pray they are more sensitive to your feelings. Or that you have baby news to share. :) Hugs!!!
I wouldn't say you're not "waiting well". I think being open with others when you are hurting is part of the waiting process too, (that's a part I really struggle with) so you shouldn't be too tough on yourself. I will be praying that your tears did touch your MIL's heart and she'll be more aware of your feelings at Christmas.
ReplyDeleteAnd I count things too when trying not to cry - sometimes it works. :)
I am sorry you had to endure such a tough time at your in laws~~ baby topics are so hard to hear when you are waiting!! sending prayers!
ReplyDeleteI hate that the holidays have to be so stressful and sad for us. I cannot wait until the year that we have little ones in our arms. I am sorry. I will pray that Christmas is a blessed time for all of us!
ReplyDeleteOh, hang in there. The holidays, unfortunately, bring out the worst selfishness in people. I will pray that your family finds compassion for you and your situation, even when they are distracted with others' good news.
ReplyDeleteYou are so right, you are not alone and I LOVE you! I just tried to stay quiet, but as I was hanging up my coat at my in-laws, my MIL asked if I was ok and I lost it. Counting...I'll have to try that, LoL.
ReplyDeleteI like what Kristina said above, I wouldn't say you aren't waiting well. It's been a LONG time for you, longer than anyone should have to wait. It gets harder as it goes on and most people in your situation don't handle it half as well as you do. You are amazing!
My Thanksgiving was very similar. My niece is actually being induced tomorrow and Thanksgiving was baby this and baby that...I was even asked if I wanted to come see the baby's room that would be at her mother's house. I smiled through everything and dealt with all the chatter.
ReplyDeletePeople are sometimes so oblivious to what others are feeling and can be insensitive and not even know it.
I just kept telling myself that if I were pregnant I would be excited too and would want to talk about it. It doesn't make things any easier though.
Keep blogging. You are not only helping yourself by being honest through writing, but you are educating others as well as helping people like me who are still waiting for God's precious gift.
I pray that you receive your miracle. As hard as it is to wait, know that God has a plan for you and it is going to be greater than anything you could imagine.
I think you should market those tees and sell them on Etsy. :) j/k
ReplyDeleteI think you are a very strong woman of God! Just because you hurt, just because there are moments of tears (and disrespectful family) does not mean you are weak. God has the perfect baby for you to mother. And soon, very soon, you will be a mother. In the meantime, I think you are doing an awesome job of both letting yourself feel what you feel (we can empathize!) and sharing your thoughts with others when you have the right words to say.
I am praying so hard for you to have a referral soon and for you to continue relying on your faith to get you through these trying days.
Blessings,
Jessica