Thursday, December 22, 2011

NaPro vs. IVF


On my last post, there were a few questions about why IUI and IVF are wrong.  I've copied what I wrote to the question-asker, but I thought you all might provide more input too.  Please comment what I'm missing or miss-stating.  I'm not eloquent in my defense, but I hope it makes sense.  There's a lot of ground to cover.  I'm not offended at all by the question ... I just want to make sure I cover the topic thoroughly and accurately to provide good information.

Here's a great link about 10 Reasons to Choose NaPro over IVF

I believe IVF is wrong for the fact that the doctors combine the sperm and egg in a petri dish.  They take the marital act between a man & wife out of the equation.  If you've had trans-vaginal ultrasounds (where they wand you up your privates) or any other test that's invasive or impersonal, then I'm sure that's what it feels like to "make" a baby via IVF.  The doctor has you up on stirrups, inserting embryos inside you and hoping they'll take.  The embryos are actually babies, as the sperm and egg have united and have begun cell division, which I (and other Catholics and pro-lifers) acknowledge as a human life.  Also, the doctor will "selectively reduce" the number of embryos  (babies) that he implants in the mother.  That's considered killing.  Its a crime, no matter how small a baby is.  If the embryos don't take, then the babies die.  Now, mind you, it wasn't the intent of the doctor, the mother or the father to let the babies die, but sometimes that's what happens.  There's a disease that's unidentified inside the mother, there's implantation problems that aren't identified ... and a host of other problems.  The IVF (or IUI) doesn't take care of the underlying health problems that are prohibiting conception.  Its all fine and dandy that the doctor has made a viable baby in a petri dish from the mother and father, but there's no guarantee of life for the baby.  To me, that's the heartbreaking part.  To create a life, with no guarantee of a chance at birth is selfish of the parents.  I would not wish a baby that my husband and I created to not be born.  But that happens sometimes when you choose IUI and IVF.  For that reason, just for the plain fact that my husband and I haven't co-created a life and the fact that the baby may not survive are two reasons that I believe IVF is wrong, excluding quotes from the Bible or other sources.  I don't want to play God.  For us, there are plenty of other children that we can parent and love.  For us, we want to be parents ultimately, not just reproduce ourselves.  There are so many people who have had multiple IUI's or IVF's.  Its not a guarantee of a child.  This is to say nothing to the financial cost of IVF or the turmoil it takes on the prospective mother.  There are many drugs/hormones that the prospective mother has to take to produce eggs and create the proper environment for the baby.  When you mess with a woman's hormones, watch out!  :-)

Regarding IUI's, the Catholic Church has not ruled one way or another (to my knowledge) that this is a sin.  What happens in an IUI is that the sperm is deposited up inside by the cervix, bypassing the cervical mucus (which sometimes is the culprit).  My cousin who has been trying for six years had an IUI, which resulted in a baby.  Although it worked for her, for me, it still negates the loving act between a husband and wife of co-creating a child.  If I'm not meant to have a child, that's fine ... but I wish God would send me a sign sometimes instead of me guessing.  We are still open to life, although it hasn't happened yet.  We're building our marriage and strengthening our relationship the "old-fashioned" way.  Once we have a child, we will need the strength of our marriage to make things work.

If my husband and I can't create a life together, we will love the life (lives) that God brings to us.  Perhaps this is our "signal" that God chooses us to be adoptive parents.  This is not a "second choice" for us.  This is the way that we will create our family.  By choosing adoption as the way to build our family, we are sharing all the love we have with a child.  They will be ours, regardless of whether we created them.  Many adoptive moms will tell you the same.  
I don't know if this response addresses all of your questions.  I'm posting this on my blog so that others can comment and provide additional information.  Please don't hesitate to email me back or ask further questions.  I'm more than happy to discuss anything with you.  The journey to parenthood is rocky and we need all the help we can get!  :-)

You might check out the following website for more info on NaPro:  NaPro FAQ   This is the treatment that I use ... NaPro Technology (aka Creighton).  This uses a woman's cervical mucus (CM) to see when she's most fertile, as well as charting the mucus signs.  In doing it this way, the NaPro doctor can see if there are other health issues that are preventing a pregnancy.  I've discovered several things through charting and observing my CM ... hormone issues, a post-ovulation defect, endometriosis.  These are things your normal doctor or an IVF doctor won't check for.  NaPro / Creighton is about treating underlying diseases in a woman so she is overall healthy, which then may result in a pregnancy.  That's also how insurance can cover treatments ... its a general health issue.

I feel like I've skipped around a bit ... this is a lot of information.  Please comment or email me with questions.  And ... please know that I'm praying for you!

11 comments:

  1. very informative!

    I will say that with the IUI (having done 1 unsuccessful cycle) you are encouraged to also go home and perform the loving act much like you would if you are charting. But, I am not trying to be a poster child for it either. The % of positive from IUI is not great and costs us roughly $1600. :(

    Bottom line, if you have faith, whose to say that if you didn't do IVF or IUI that you wouldn't get pregnant anyway. It is all GOD'S timing! After going through my CRAZY (all caps for a reason haha) couple of months of trying at all cost, I realized that God didn't want us to become parents that way. He also didn't want me to be the crazy I had become.

    I hope my comments don't offend anyone, I am not Catholic, so have not had as much experience with the sin side of this topic. But maybe my journey on this crazy train and realizations that I have had, with your knowledge, could help someone make a better more educated decision and/or save them unnecessary heartache.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know the whole IUI thing was being debated. I always thought it was wrong. I found an interesting article on it.
    http://catholicexchange.com/2007/08/06/94572/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you stated why IVF goes against the church's teachings very kindly and eloquently. Good job.

    One of the debates of the licitness of IUI is how the sperm is collected. If collected in a similar manner as many Catholic's collect for sperm analysis (ie a holey condom), there is some arguement that it is okay as the marital act is still involved. It still doesn't always address the underlying fertility issues.

    Thanks for your sensitive post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is the link from the US Conference of Catholic Bishops with specific guidelines for reproductive ethics:

    http://old.usccb.org/prolife/treatment.shtml

    Just a note that the IUI is only under discussion so long as the sperm is licitly obtained (through an act of intercourse).

    This site was a helpful way to share with my mom about what treatments we were going to be willing to consider...even though she's Catholic, she just doesn't "get" why we won't do IVF but she has bee respectful of our choice since I sent this link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post! My only comment was on the following sentence (listed in its entirety below) - in context, I know what you are getting at, but when I first read it, it startled me because my DH and I have experienced 2 miscarriages, so of course, there is no guarantee that ANY child conceived in the womb or in a petri dish will be born. Would it be more accurate to say "to create a life, with no guarantee of a chance at birth....".

    Other than that - great topics to tackle and to explain! Merry Christmas!

    Original line
    "To create a life, with no guarantee of birth, is selfish of the parents. I would not wish a baby that my husband and I created to not be born. But that happens sometimes when you choose IUI and IVF."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second JPTC in that I noticed the statement "To create a life, with no guarantee of birth, is selfish of the parents" is a fallacy. No sex act, no ART procedure, guarantees conception or birth.

    You did a great job of capturing the Catholic view on ART. The only thing I'd add is that the same fertility (hormone) drugs used in ART can be and have been used in Creighton treatment and I personally think those drugs are dangerous in any context. I've always been surprised the US Catholic Bishops haven't offered an opinion on that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you JBTC and Airing the Chapel! My sincere apologies. I knew I would misstate something. I have corrected the error in my post. It now reads correctly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great overview! Thanks for being a wonderful witness to our faith!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good explanation on a complicated topic. Is NaPro fairly new?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you "All In His Perfect Timing" for taking the time to research and write your feelings. This is a lot of information to digest, but I thank you for doing this. It is clear you feel very strongly on this topic. I am in agreement with the "extra embryos". That is one of the main reasons I am still on the fence about IVF.

    Going to spend some much needed time with my family, and revisit this topic in a few days. Again, thank you for being open and honest about IVF. It is people like you that help other's understand your viewpoints, etc... I am praying for you too. Although I don't know you, I know you will be an amazing mother someday. You are very passionate and will raise your child(ren) to be wonderful people. I am praying for you too and for all women yearning to be mothers. (Although I believe once you believe in your heart that you are meant to be a mom, you already are.) Some of us just have to wait a little longer than most. Our babies will find us someday. Have a Merry Christmas with your family. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dr. Hilgers began research in 1976 and I believe NaPro was promoted as a treatment / diagnostic method beginning in 1981. The Pope Paul VI Institute was opened in 1985.
    You might check out the following link for more info: www.popepaulvi.com/about2.html

    ReplyDelete