Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Baby Sickness -- Q & A

Luke has been a sick little boy these last few weeks.  We are at it again with another ear infection, which we discovered at the doctors after we took him in to check out the serious eye goobers/pus he had in his left eye for about 3-4 days (over the Thanksgiving holiday, no less).  More antibiotics in his system for his right ear, this time.  I'm sure it has spread to his left ear, as he has been grabbing at that for the last several days.  His pediatrician has said that because he's had 2 infections within the last 2 months, with a third infection, she will refer us to the Ear, Nose & Throat doctor to discuss the possibility of ear tubes, to help with the pressure & drainage in his ears.  My poor baby is only 8 months old.  Is this common in someone so young?  I am up for anything to ease Luke's discomfort.  We have been keeping him dosed up with Motrin to keep the pain at bay.  I had a ton of earaches as a kid, so I remember the pain.  Ugh.  I was hoping to get some input from those who are familiar with ear tubes ... pros & cons, how have they worked for you/kids, etc.

With Luke's ear infection, comes a sore throat & cough (which we may find out at our re-check tomorrow is bronchitis).  It isn't helped by the temps in the house at night, either.  We keep our house about 72 typically, but have been running it higher at 74 to help with Luke's sicknesses.  At night, the temps seem to drop regardless (and when you breathe dry air through your mouth because your nose is plugged, I don't think that helps either).  We've run the humidifier at night in his room, but sometimes it will quit working in the middle of the night.  I think it may be due to our hard water creating a calcium buildup or something inside.  Luke also likes to squirm out of the covers I put in his crib.  Usually he will start at one end of the crib with a few blankets from his waist down.  Then by morning, he will be huddled at the other end with no blankets.  When I change his diaper in the morning, he always feels a little cold, so we get a bottle & snuggle under a few layers.  I dress him in the one piece footie pajamas (not a super-thin fabric), but even with that, I'd still like to keep him warmer at night.  Aside from a space heater (which I'm nervous about due to a fear of a fire starting (yes, I'm paranoid)), do you have any suggestions on how to keep Luke warm?

Since I'm questioning everything under the sun, here's another one.  Crib bumpers.  We'd purchased a crib set with the thick bumpers that I know you're not supposed to use due to suffocation risk.  So I put those bumpers away & haven't used them.  When Luke started to get wiggly and make 360's in his crib, we wanted to get something so his arms & legs wouldn't get stuck in the slats, so we purchased some bumpers that have large air holes at Targ.et.  Those worked ok, but kept sliding down all.the.time, which drove me crazy (you tie them onto the slats).  I wondered if there was an age when you could use the "thick" bumpers if you know that your child can move away from it.  I'm not willing to risk Luke suffocating with these bumpers, though, so I'm posing the question to get some input before making any changes.

Lastly, but definitely my biggest headache in the question department ... thermometers!  I want to throttle all thermometer manufacturers.  Seriously!  I realize with a squirmy baby that the temps won't always be the same, but with a whole degree difference, I think that is for the birds!  We initially purchased a forehead thermometer, but after comparing that with my digital thermometer I used when taking my BBT (I took it under Luke's arm), I realized that the forehead thermometer was crazy!  So I bought the Brau.n Ear Thermometer, which you can stick in the ear after putting a plastic sleeve over the tip to prevent ear wax getting on the sensor.  That reads a little better, but still varies a little.  I'm about fit to be tied!  Any good recommendations on thermometers?  I'm not thrilled about going "old school" and trying to stick a thermometer up Luke's (very cute) behind.

We like to pull ourselves up on anything now!

Luke is very mobile!  He has been crawling for a month and will go from the crawling position to sitting just like that.  He likes to crawl around his piles of toys for the most interesting things ... this time, he was going after the yellow ball.  

Having fun with Cookie Monster (a gift from his birthmom).   Yes, I stuffed CM in the back of his pants to "ride along" because I thought it was too cute.  I am "that mother."  :-D

Showing off our "I can pull myself up and stand in my crib now" skills.  We've learned to hang on, as when Luke doesn't, he takes a tumble!




22 comments:

  1. Okay going down the list. I had tubes when I was one and a half. Other than a scar in my ear--which has been mentioned by doctors so it's not visible--I have no lasting side effects of the procedure. They apparently really did help me.

    We use a Vicks Humidifier and Husband cleans out the calcium once a week so see if yours can be cleaned too. We use the halo sleep sacks, the wearable blankets. C can still crawl and roll in them since his arms are free and they've been working for us.

    We never bought a bumper but lately I've been having the same question so... I am going to stalk your comments. :)

    We got a forehead thermometer and it's so far been pretty accurate so I'm not sure. But if all of them vary then it's probably best to go old school?

    And lastly... loving the pictures of your little gentleman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! :-). Regarding your ear tubes ... Could you still swim, etc or were there any limitations?

      Delete
    2. I had to wear ear plugs in order to swim but that was it. I only have one vague memory of needing to put them in at day care for a water day but that it was just part of my routine.

      Delete
  2. Oh sweet Luke, that is so sad that he keeps getting sick! I have no experience with ear tubes - sorry. One of the bloggers - Brenda over at Life as We Know it (linked on my blog) recently had ear tubes placed in her 18 mo old little boy and I guess it went really well and they have seen a huge improvement in his speech - as one example.

    Here is the thermometer we use and I have really liked it because I can do it while she is sleeping and she doesn't wake up. Also, my friend who gave it to me works as a PT in a hospital and she said it is similar to what they use there. However, if you have already tried this, I don't know what to say. But, here is a tip - you should keep a rectal thermometer on hand. It does come in handy if you want to umm...help move things a long a bit if your baby is a bit constipated. Don't ask me how I know...(a tip from one of my SILs who is an OB nurse).

    http://www.amazon.com/Exergen-Temporal-Artery-Thermometer-TAT-2000C/dp/B000LJAEPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354744858&sr=8-1&keywords=temporal+scan+thermometer

    Crib bumpers...ahh. I too am freaked out by the bulky ones. A dear friend gave us this one from
    Target and I really like it. They seem to stay in place (but don't go all the way up - if that is what you are looking for). Elizabeth isn't pulling herself up yet so I don't know how that would work with Luke pulling them out of place. (But they do collapse on themselves if a baby does try to step on them and propel themselves over the crib railing. I think the collapsing effect would help the baby to get the footing to crawl out.)

    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2529738

    Space heaters. We do have one in Elizabeth's doorway. Our upstairs gets into the low 60s at night and even though our furnace is set at 71, it just doesn't get to the upstairs (old, old, house). I was super hesitant to use the space heater for her room (we had used in prior years in our room), but then I worried more about her suffocating with a bunch of blankets. So, what we did is put it in her doorway, with the door open. It blows into her room, but there is plenty of airflow and it is very sturdy, so I am not worried about the cats knocking it over. But even if they did, I would hear it (she is right next to our room). It also has an automatic heat setting that you can set and it will turn off when the room reaches that temperature and then turn back on when the temp drops again. This is the one we have and I have been very happy with it. (It is not hot to the touch, so I have never gotten burned moving it out of the way if I go into her room, etc.) And I really like the thermostat control.

    Pictures - they are so cute!!! I love that you are "that mom"!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant "the collapsing effect would prevent the baby from getting the footing to crawl out"...ugh....sorry for the misprint. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as the ears go, we battled ear stuff with Anna when she was around like 8-10 months. You can read about it here http://familyofheads.blogspot.com/2012/01/recurring-ear-infection.html, read Julie's comment. Her tip got rid of Anna's chronic ear infection and we haven't had one since. If I even think her ears or throat are the least bit sore, I put in a little coconut/lavendar oil and we never have another problem. COconut oil (or olive oil) will reduce the swelling and lavendar oil has antibiotic properties.

    When I worked at the daycare, we had lots of kids get tubes between 6 and 8 months. However, I couldn't stand the thought of surgery for Anna, so I was willing to try anything before going that route! Thankfully Julie came to my rescue :-)

    As for bumpers, we use the mesh breathable one. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2266849. We love it, both of my kids have loved sleeping right up against the sides of the crib, so I felt good about the mesh, but we also had chubby legs getting stuck in slats problem before we put it in there.

    We have always used sleep sacks. Our upstairs gets really cold at night, it's a way to ensure my kids are warm but not suffocating themselves in a blanket or kicking it off. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2317631 We have a fleece one for wintertime that keeps them nice and warm :-). Also, you may check with your adoption agency on space heater rules as far as your license is concerned. I know here in Illinois, we're not allowed to have them in the home at all due to fire risk.

    As for thermometers, I have yet to find a great one, but I do the old fashioned up the butt when I need to. It's the most accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A friend in my yoga class has a 9 month old and he just got tubes, and she said it made a huge difference. My nephew had them, but he was a bit older. Made a huge difference with him too.

    We have (I think) that same Braun thermometer...I'm not happy with it at the moment b/c yesterday when Claire got sick, it stopped working. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. No advice in the ears. :( lots if my friends' kids have had tubes out in tho and it apparently helps.

    Re humidifier: try using filtered water to help. Also you can mix some eucalyptus oil with boiling water and put the cup in his room so he can breathe in the vapours to help his breathing.

    Buy a sleep sac. A MUST HAVE!! Google Halo or Aden and Anais. There are usually lots on babysteals for cheaper too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not much time to comment.

    Ear infections...use Nutiva Coconut oil (warmed to room temp) and mix with Lavender oil (a few drops). Put all around the outside of his ear and you can even use a dropper to drop a few drops into his ear. Heals it so well!

    We put 2 pair of jammies on our kids. Long sleeve with pants sets, socks and then out a fleece footed sleeper on over it.

    We also use WARM air humidifiers in our kids rooms. It actually warms the air in the room and keeps it moist without fire danger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you get the coconut oil? Online or health food store?
      Also, I hadn't heard of a warm air humidifier. Thanks!!

      Delete
    2. We buy our Nutiva coconut oil on Amazon. It's the cheapest there.

      Delete
  8. The Cookie Monster picture is cute. It looks like Luke is having a fun life. Hopefully those painful earaches will cease and desist soon. Do you put Vicks vapor rub around his ears (not IN the ears). I feel like that sometimes helps me, or maybe it's the placebo effect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had tubes... Twice. I don't remember how well they helped. So, that's not much help. But I'm loving Luke's smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can buy coconut oil anywhere; just make sure it's organic. Tropical Traditions and Soaper's Choice both sell it in bulk, for a much lower price per pound than in stores. As far as the thermometer, I know you said you're not thrilled to do it, but up the butt is really, really easy and doesn't cause them any discomfort. Just use a little coconut oil and slide the tip in; you will be surprised at how easy it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have nothing on the ears... but man that little guy is too cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, poor, sweet Luke. I'm sorry things are so rough with him. It must be so hard on you. I've had lots of friends whose kids had tubes. It was all for the best in every single case. I do know tubes don't last that long (12-18 months, maybe), so sometimes you do have to have new ones put in when they work their way out.

    We have the same thermometer as JBTC mentioned. It works OK. It's fast, but I don't think it's super accurate (measures lower readings) as far as numbers go, but we have a baseline for R, so we know if it's over that, then there's probably a problem.

    We also have the same breathable mesh bumper as JBTC linked. We like it because it's breathable, but now R knows she can lift her legs up over it and get them in the slats. Still, it helps prevent stuck limbs most of the time. I do remember that company making another bumper too for older kids.

    We put R in flannel pjs at night (the zip up kind with feet in the bottom). That usually keeps her toasty even with our heat down to 67 at night. Someone told me to put warm socks on inside the footie pjs if she was cold, but we haven't had to do that yet. We love flannel pjs and have 3 or 4 pairs.

    Good luck with all your questions! Love the pictures. He seems like a happy boy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If he's getting ear infections that frequently, the tubes can only help. It'll only be temporary. Ditto on the sleep sacs, they are awesome- we use them in the NICU and love them.

    About thermometers, the tympanic (ear) ones are inaccurate until baby is a year old. Rectal is a gold standard and is most accurate, just lube with some KY and you're set. Just don't insert too far. If you're worried, you can use it under his arm too.

    Hope he gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor Luke :( He's so cute though!! With the thermometers, I just had the ear one because it was at least consistent even if it was wrong. I just started going on how AJ felt- you can tell if they have a fever. I second the layering idea to keep his poor body warm. As for the ENT and possible tubes- if they recommend them, I would get them right away. We had a situation with AJ where the doctor was on the fence about tubes and I was hesitant so we didn't do it. The next infection, AJ's eardrum perferated and now he has a permanent low level hearing loss in that ear and can never have tubes in it. They don't put tubes in a perferated ear drum. Anyway, it's one of my regrets...Feel better Luke!!! oh- vicks vapo rub!! It opens up the membranes :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Try the Warm Air Humidifier... We use our filtered water in ours to avoid build up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We use a space heater for Isaac's room - http://www.lowes.com/pd_100813-33454-EW7507EBL_0__?productId=3262151&Ntt=space+heater&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dspace%2Bheater&facetInfo=

    It is so awesome!! It is warmish to the touch, but won't burn him if he touches it (which he has once or twice, saying "hot" each time, lol).
    I've had bumpers in Isaac's crib since the beginning, although he didn't sleep in his crib until he was 7 months old. He was a strong baby - he could hold his head up from birth, could push himself around the crib from just a couple weeks, and especially at 7 months old wasn't worried about him getting stuck in the bumper. He rolls all over the crib when he's sleeping, and I like that it protects him from the bare rails. When he first started going to sleep on his own, he'd jam his head into the corner and kinda rock his body up and down, bouncing his head against the bumper. So, yeah, I'm a fan of bumpers :).
    I have the thermometer that you just hold a couple inches from their forehead to take the temp and it's awful just because he won't stay still long enough to ever get a reading. If he's sleeping though, it's nice to be able to check it without waking him. Definitely the tushy route is the best way if you really need an accurate temp.
    Here's a great post on ear infections - we haven't had ear problems with Isaac, but I've bookmarked it for future kiddos :). http://www.modernalternativemama.com/blog/2012/05/14/monday-health-wellness-mommy-mental-health/#.UMeGQYfAeSo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Luke is sooo cute! I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. First of all, I didn't read the comments, so if this was already suggested, just ignore me. We use and love the Halo Sleep sacks. Awesome right now to put over those footed jammies and they make a fleece one that is warmer. And, added bonus: kiddos can't climb out of cribs if you sack them! I also use a space heater and crib bumpers (and have since day one with my youngest). I know you are told not to do it, but I do. I understand your concerns too about it. I just choose to do it because I found it kept the room warmer and the sickness at bay. You could also just run the heater until you go to bed or something like that?

    No advice on tubes, but gosh I am sorry. Luke will be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A little late but I've heard that getting tubes in your ears has advanced a lot since our day and is no longer that big of a deal. That's about all I know though. And to keep him warm we put Sam in his fleece PJ's and a baby zipup sack that serves as a blanket he can't kick off. We have a space heater too but we only use it during naps usually.

    ReplyDelete