I'm excited (and nervous) to say that we have a meeting scheduled for next week with Luke's birthmom. I don't think we'll have a shortage of things to talk about, but I am probably over-thinking the logistics a bit.
Where would a good place be to meet with her and her parents? I've thought about a restaurant, if we could reserve a back room that's a little more private. I've thought about the mall, where there is a kids play place, but that will be kind of loud and not private at all. I've thought about the library, perhaps we could reserve a room. I've thought about a park, but it is really hot out. I've even thought about our house ... it might be the easiest.
I'm looking for opinions, ideas and experiences for suggestions of places to go, what to plan for, etc.
I'm excited for her to see Luke again. She wrote that she's been thinking about him alot. I hope this will be a wonderful experience for her, but I'm sure it will be painful at the end too.
A hotel suite? Feels kind of like a home but without being yours? If you get one with a kitchenette you could have snacks or treats of some sort.
ReplyDeleteWe meet all kinds of places with Anthony's birthmom. It depends on what you're comfortable with. We've met at the zoo, the library, McDonald's, the park, our house... With a baby, it's definitely easiest at home (with a toddler, a park is way easier :-). J likes to see Anthony play on the floor, roll over, etc... and it's comforting to see him in his home environment. Just my 2 cents! We've had a lot of practice in this area!
ReplyDeleteIf this is the first meeting since you brought him home, I would suggest some place other than your house. She might be caught off guard by her emotions at seeing Luke again and it might be easier if she has some "space" to process it. You would have "home field advantage" and it might be harder for her in your home environment. This is what our social worker suggested for the first meeting post placement. It is the hardest meeting emotionally for the birth mother. After this meeting, it might be easier to access where a good meeting place would be for next time and maybe your home would be great then!
ReplyDeleteWe met our birthmom for the first time (it was a year after Aliya came home) at a Golden Corral. We got a table in the back and stayed for 3 hours! Having the buffet to go up to actually was a great buffer when I needed to collect my thoughts. I pray it goes well!!
ReplyDeleteI agree with somewhere neutral like a restaurant. Hope all goes well! :)
ReplyDeleteWow, this meeting will be exciting and nerve-wracking. I am sure it will go wonderfully, though. I think it is beautiful that you have an open adoption. I will be praying for your meeting! I would suggest a neutral location--restaurant or park.
ReplyDeleteGood luck! I'd love to hear where you end up going and how it goes!
ReplyDeletePraying all goes well! I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes.
ReplyDelete