Monday, August 13, 2012

Six Years

In honor of our Sixth Wedding Anniversary (August 5, 2006), I borrowed JellyBelly's Q & A sheet she answered about her fourth anniversary.  

Happy 6th Anniversary to my DH!!!  I love you!!!


1. Where/how did you meet:  
    We met on a blind date on New Years Eve 2004.  My friend was dating a guy who had a roommate who was single.  And tall.  And I'd had a whole host of bad dates by then, so I dreaded the evening.  I cleaned my apartment and drug my feet on meeting him.  We went out to eat and whatever I asked him, he wouldn't look at me and responded to his friend.  I couldn't wait to get back home, as it was going terribly.  But once we got back to my friend's apartment, we had fun playing games together and I realized his was a really nice guy.  He was just EXTREMELY shy.  As in "never-had-a-girlfriend-shy."  (Love you honey!  I'm baring your soul here.)
2. How long have you known each other: 
Since our first date on New Years Eve ... 8 years coming up on New Years 2012.
3. How long after you met did you start dating: 
Officially we began dating on Valentines Day 2005 (about 1.5 months after we met).  I couldn't wait to become "official", as I knew there was something special about him.
4. How long did you date before you were engaged: 
10 months, he proposed on October 30, 2005 (my youngest sister's birthday).
5. How long was your engagement:  8 months
6. How long have you been married:  6 years
7. What is your anniversary:  August 5
8. How many people came to your wedding reception:  Maybe 100-125
9. What kind of cake did you serve:
We had marble cake with "the good kind of frosting" (i.e. not the cool-whip-type stuff).  The grooms cake was a chocolate cake with chocolate icing.
10. Where was your wedding:  Our parish at the time, which is in the same city we live now.  We had the reception & dance at a Holiday Inn.  
11. What did you serve for your meal:  Chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, corn, beans, dinner roll ... all the good stuff!
12. How many people were there in your bridal party
4 bridesmaids, 4 groomsmen, 1 flower girl & 1 ring bearer
13. Are you still friends with them all:   Yes
14. Did you or your spouse cry during the ceremony
I did.  DH didn't.  From the moment I thought about the walk up the aisle with my dad, my eyes kept watering.  And when walking up the aisle, my lip wouldn't stop quivering, so I looked in pain walking up the aisle (oops!), but if I didn't hold my lip in, I would have burst out in sobs.  
15. Most special moment of your wedding day
I really choked up saying our wedding vows.  I repeated the first line and then had to take a break as I was crying and couldn't talk.  And my DH reached up with his hand and wiped the tears from my eyes.  My dad said the next day that this action by my DH made it to where there were NO dry eyes in the church. 
16. Any funny moments:
At the reception, my friend (who was a bridesmaid) had bought these huge bright pink granny-panties for DH to pullout during the garter-find-and-toss at the reception.  I didn't know it.  So ... imagine my surprise when he crawls out from under with a huge grin on his face and hold those beauties up!!!  He had them in his pocket all during our wedding too.  Nice.  :-)
17. Any big disasters:
The heat.  I think it was 105 or so.  It. Was. Hot.  Luckily, everything was inside, we just took a few outdoor photos together at a park.
18. Where did you go on your honeymoon:  Hawaii
19. How long where you gone:  7 days
20. If you were to do your wedding over, what would you change:  I'd decorate the church more (my decor was skimpy) and I'd pick the bridesmaid dresses differently (I liked my Maid of Honor's dress, but then picked something less expensive for the rest of the bridesmaids) ... oh, and flowers ... I'd do some real ones.  (see #29)
21. What side of the bed do you sleep on:  The Right
22. What size is your bed:  King (we're both good-sized people)
23. Greatest strength as a couple:  Communication ... we tell each other everything and we know we are in it for the long haul.
24. Greatest challenge as a couple:  Infertility
25. Who literally pays the bills:  I do.
26. What is your song:  "You are so Beautiful to Me" 
27. What did you dance your first dance to:  "You are so Beautiful to Me" 
28. Describe your wedding dress:  White "wedding gown fabric (?)" with a lace overlay and an embroidered top and bottom and train.  It was about the 4th or 5th dress I tried on.  My Mother-in-Law cried when she saw me in it, so that's how I knew it was the one.  I took my MIL dress shopping with my mom & my 2 sisters (my MIL had all boys and wasn't ever able to participate in a wedding-gown-dress-selection-event).
29. What kind of flowers did you have at your wedding:   I had red roses in a bouquet.  My bridesmaids all had red roses & yellow roses with red tips in their bouquets.  We made a "flower ball" for the flower girl to carry with the same red roses & yellow roses as the bridesmaids.  We made all our bouquets by hand with fake flowers.  It did turn out good, but I would change that to real flowers if I were to do it all again.
30. Are your wedding bands engraved?  No.  I wanted to do my DH's, but ran out of time to do so once I thought about it.  



15 comments:

  1. I lovee this post. I may have to steal the questions for my own blog as it's my anniversary in a few days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally going to steal this tomorrow! :) And I know exactly what you mean by "the good kind of frosting." I literally laughed out loud knowingly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary!!! Love the questionnaire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! We have been married almost twice as long as you. Makes me feel old!!

    I love your wedding pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary!!! :) I'll have to remember these Q&A's for my 6th! :) So nice to hear more about your special day - and you two as a couple!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary! It was fun to read your answers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary. It was neat to read your Q and A!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these pics!! :) and of course I love the q and a too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love numbers 15 & 16! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy anniversary!

    P.s. cool whip icing is the best, IMHO that is ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy anniversary! Love the post and hearing some of your story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have SO much in common!

    -I was Colin's first girlfriend.
    -We got engaged "quickly"--after 1 year of knowing each other.
    -We've been married 5 1/2 years.
    -And, Colin always mentions how I looked like I was in pain walking down the aisle to him. LOL. Trying not to cry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, and congratulations on your anniversary!

    ReplyDelete