We just got home about an hour ago from meeting with Luke's birthmom & her family. We ended up going to Coyote Canyon, which is a buffet restaurant and sat in the back room at a table, away from the crowd, so we had some privacy. We got to the restaurant early and formulated a plan for where to go, where to sit, what to do, etc. We decided I would sit back at the table with Luke and hubby would go up front to meet everyone then lead them back. It worked out really well!
When Luke's birthmom, Becca, rounded the corner and came back to where we sat, her face lit up and she was so happy to see Luke. I gave him to her right away. She just hugged him so tight. It made me tear up, as I couldn't imagine being in her shoes ... watching her baby be raised by someone else, when she loves him so much. She talked to him for awhile and took him in. Her boyfriend also was all smiles and making faces at Luke. It was so special ... meeting her son again after four months. Becca said she had been looking forward to it so much. Her mom, her mom's boyfriend & her sister also came to see Luke too.
Becca and her boyfriend held Luke while the rest of us got up to get our plates & eat. In true Luke fashion, he was ready to eat when we were ready to eat (how DOES he always know this?) We enjoyed the food and company and tried to catch them up on all the things that Luke is doing. Becca's older son, E, is about two years old (give or take) and it sounds like he is a holy terror! Or a normal two year old boy ... we shall soon see what that's like with Luke. :-) We got to hear about E's escapades and how much Luke looks like E and how similar and different they were. Lots of comparisons. It is neat to see pictures of E and what Luke may look like as he grows up.
The nice thing about Becca's family is that you don't have to do too much talking. They are a very lively bunch ... lots of stories were passed around & shared ... although the story about Becca's boyfriend killing a tomcat was a little much. What do you say in response to that? (I am a cat lover.)
It was also interesting to see how our personalities matched up. Becca is definitely a mother. She did the one-handed-bottle-lid-removal-while-holding-a-baby-technique flawlessly. She was so very attentive to him and kept watching to see if he was eating her shirt or the bib and tried to get him the bottle, as she thought he looked hungry. She cleaned out his ear as someone else was holding him. She told us how to pull him up to strengthen his core muscles to help him sit up better. She changed his diaper and told me that I should put baby powder in the diaper to get rid of heat rash around his pelvis. I just nodded and said thank you. We may try that ... we may not. It is different getting advice from a younger person (she is 21/22 and I am 31) who lets you know her opinion. Not bad ... not good, just different. I guess I think about her being the same age as my little sister (the one who just got married) and it is hard to think about her knowing more than I do (I am of the opinion I know more than my little sister) ... but he is Becca's son too ... so I accept her advice.
Becca's boyfriend said that for two weeks after Luke was born, she was grief-stricken and couldn't get out of bed. When I heard that, I felt terrible. I still do. I question how I can be so very happy and thrilled with the blessing of this amazing little boy and she was/is so devastated and misses him terribly. I can't give Luke back. I don't want to. I didn't know how soon was too soon to call or text. This isn't like dating. How many months do you wait before you awake the grief again? I didn't want to cause more pain, but Becca said she was so glad to hear from me and so glad for this meeting. She mentioned quite a few times that he looks so happy. That makes me happy. Becca also said that she thinks about Luke every single day. We will see her again soon. I'm not sure about monthly meetings quite yet, but maybe every 6 weeks would be ok.
Luke was awake the whole time. He nodded off to sleep once, but didn't stay asleep long. He looked at Becca, but he didn't remember her like I imagined he would. I guess I was a little paranoid that he would cling to her and remember she was the real mommy, but he smiled more at hubby and I, so that was comforting. We have done the parenting, so it is normal for us to be his go-to-people. I think Luke was overtired from the day, as he didn't have any naps and didn't take a half-hour nap like normal between 5-7. As I type this at 10 pm, he is up and fussy in his crib. When I gave him his last bottle, he went to sleep, I put him down & figured he would zonk out, but he's up and moving and babbling. Since he's not screaming, mommy gets to blog. :-) Hopefully he will put himself back to sleep.
All in all, I was really nervous about the meeting. I didn't know what to say, what to wear, how to act, if anyone would burst into tears (didn't happen) .... the list goes on. It went pretty well, I'll have to say. I think we can form a good friendship with everyone we saw again tonight. They are really wonderful people. I meant to ask Becca what she preferred we call her, but we will save that for next time. I did ask her if she wanted to fill out pages in his Baby Book (the baby book we got is specifically for Adoption, as there are pages for the Birthmom & Birthdad to fill out about themselves, in addition to two family trees). She said she would be delighted. I was thrilled. Becca also wants to write a letter to Luke for when he is 16-17 about why she chose adoption. I said we would be honored to keep that for him and share that with him when he is older. We do plan on letting him know about his adoption as part of his normal life, by meeting with his birth family often and also with shared pictures and night prayers.
Next up on the to-meet-list is Luke's biological dad's side of the family ... which I'm WAY more nervous about than this meeting, as his bio dad was the one who was so stubborn in the hospital about signing papers and created the whole drama fest we endured. The Adoption / Birth Family relationship is new to me and really causes me to have to come out of my shell. I'm a pretty introverted person.
All in all, I hope this post helps you get a special insight into Open Adoption and maybe open some hearts to that calling. Good night!
I am SO glad things went well. It sounds like Luke will have a lot of love throughout his life. I'll send up a prayer that meeting with the birth father goes as smoothly.
ReplyDeleteAs far as the baby powder thing, obviously you can do what you want to do, but at our baby class at the hospital we were told not to use baby powder as the talc can cause lung irritation. But maybe putting it directly in a diaper is different?
Sorry for the novel, but again, SO thrilled today went well!
That's exactly what I knew about baby powder too ... don't use it. I'll just use Desitin or something if it gets bad ... probably not the powder.
DeleteThanks! I'm glad you confirmed that!!!
First off I want to confirm for you that YOU ARE LUKE'S REAL MOM! Becca is his birth mother. different roles. You need to have confidence that YOU are his real mom by making sure you write/talk that way. I am not trying to criticize you or make you feel bad, I just want to let you know it is OK to act, talk and feel as Luke's real mom. No, you didn't give birth to him, and Becca has a different bond with him because she gave birth to him, but YOU are the one SHE has chosen to be his mom.
ReplyDeletePeople are going to as us who our children's "real parents" are and I always want to respond that I am their real mom, though another woman gave birth to them.
Please don't take this the wrong way. I am trying to encourage you.
Julie, thanks for your comment! I do feel encouraged you wrote this, not angry at all. I really appreciate your comments and truly value your insight.
DeleteIt's easier to act like Luke's mom daily, I guess I was so unsure of how to act last night, I really didn't act at all. Obviously, I'm more of an introvert in that respect.
I'm not sure exactly where boundaries need to be yet and what to call Becca when I talk to Luke about her (we pray for her at night). So far, I call her "his birthmom, Becca". I do agree 100% that I am his real parent. I sure love him like his mom should. :-)
I'm glad things went well! And I agree with Julie, you are his Real Mom and he is so very lucky to have you!
ReplyDeleteYou are so brave! I'm glad the meeting went well!
ReplyDeleteI am glad the first meeting went well and hopefully there will be less anxiety about the future meetings. We do not have an open relationship with our birthmother and in many ways that makes me sad. Luke has so many people that love him :)
ReplyDeleteOh wow, reading this stressed me out :) THat is so hard! All those emotions, especially as everything is so new. By the way, it is true about baby powder but you can get talc free stuff that is basically just cornstarch or you can just use plain old cornstarch for those areas. It does help.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the info about the cornstarch! A great tip! :-)
DeleteI think as time goes on, you'll feel more and more comfortable about how to act at those meetings. I'm glad it went so well. Becca sounds like a very special, very courageous girl. I will keep her in my prayers!
ReplyDeleteThank you!! I appreciate your prayers for Becca. She is truly special.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great meeting, and how truly special it will be to have that relationship with Becca and her family. You'll be able to tell Luke so many things about his birth mother and her family, which will be really special. I love the relationship you are forming with her/them. You are so strong and courageous!
ReplyDeleteWow mama I am in awe of you...I don't think I could do it. You are so strong! I would have had a hard time with the "advice". I have to admit, we want to adopt someday, but the openness freaks me out. Sounds like you are handling it so well. Here's hoping birth fathers meeting goes well!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this. It is really interesting to read about your experiences. I dont know how well I would handle am open adoption. Kudos to you for handling everything with such class and grace. Luke is so blessed to have you!
ReplyDeleteSounds like an intense night! But I'm glad it went well. I'm glad Luke will always know about the adoption.
ReplyDeleteI used to say that I definitely never wanted to have an open adoption, if we ever adopt domestically. But, hearing your story and others' stories, I realize that it can be a really healthy and good thing for your child.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you are having a good experience. I imagine it must be tough, but continue to let God lead you in all that you do for your little one. Luke is so blessed to have you and your husband, as well as his birthparents/birthfamily in his life.
Hi, not read your blog before but just came across, via another. I just wanted to say that having read your recent posts, I think you are an exceptionally mature and caring person. Just wanted to tell you that! Keep up the great work, and all the best, Sarah X
ReplyDeleteThere's so much feeling and understanding in this post. I know I would feel self-conscious if the birth mom was telling me how to take care of the baby.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing your experiences with open adoption. I'm so happy for you and your husband!
ReplyDeleteI know your thoughts as if they are my own!! I feel like sometimes I want more contact than L does and definitely want to text her more often than she texts me but don't want to cause the wound to re scab ;(
ReplyDeleteThis birth parent relationship is tricky but God will guide you through it! Praying the meeting with bio dad goes well!