Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Night Two

Night One took about 1-1/2 hours of crying, whining and taking his pj bottoms and diaper off (and peeing all over). When we checked on him about an hour into his crying, we discovered the fun he'd been having and put a diaper & the zippered feetie pjs on so as to stop any future antics. All Luke got last night was a sippy cup of water and that was it. It wasn't all gone in the morning, so he wasn't that thirsty.
Tonight (Day 2) we went up to his bedroom at 7:30, got pjs on, turned the lights low, read "Countdown to Bedtime" twelve times in a row, put him in his crib at 7:50, turned the lights out and said prayers together in the glow of the nightlight as he bounced away in his crib. About 8:05 prayers were done, I reset his musical penguin nightlight, kissed him, told him I loved him and left the room.  
Although he's been going to bed at 8 pm since he was 6 months old, the actual going to sleep part has been hard recently (the last month).  I'm sure he's getting more independent about bedtime too.  Oh, this discipline is hard stuff!  I want to cave to his every whim.  We'll see how long it takes him to crash tonight. Thanks ladies for your encouragement!!!

 ** UPDATE:  It is 9:30 pm and Mr. Luke has been quiet and asleep for about 10 minutes!  We're gaining!  About 20 minutes ahead of last night.  Oh, yes ... and stupid Daylight Savings Time is coming up on Saturday PM ... that will make things EXTRA fun!!

9 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Glad to hear it was bit easier tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Luke can do this!!! A book I found super helpful when we were doing sleep training with Elizabeth was Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weisbuth. Just a thought if you wanted some reinforcement and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm dreading daylight savings. Anna and AA already get up way too early. They don't need any encouragement to get up earlier!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am dreading daylight savings, too! Why, oh, why do they have to have stupid daylight savings?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job!! I am dreading DLS time too! Screwed us up so bad last year! As far as the diaper thing...I read in my sleep book to duck tape their diaper on if they are tearing it off and pee/pooping everywhere. I have not had to do it yet, but certainly will if Michael acts out. ( I obviously mean just tape it to the diaper and not to his skin...heheheh thought I needed to clarify that)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We haven't gotten to the diaper taking off stage yet. I think C can just skip that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know about you, but my kids don't sleep much in the fall, and winter. Their bodies are used to constant sunlight, fresh air and exercise all summer and they are not tired these days. It happened last year too. By spring, they are outside more (and using WAY more energy than in the winter, so they get tired really easy and sleep really well).
    Bella hasn't napped in weeks...well, she has fallen asleep about 2 times in the last month. It is going to be a long winter...

    ReplyDelete