Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Makeup Favorites

I recently started reading the blog of www.MaskCara.com (via FB and the web).  She has some awesome makeup tips and tricks up her sleeve, as well as some great products to recommend, so I thought I'd share, as I appreciate others' recommendations on products to see how well they work.

1)  Gel Eyeliner
I never thought much about Gel Eyeliner.  I figured it was messy and was for professionals, so I never thought much about it.  After reading this, I thought I'd give it a try (L'Oreal Infallible Gel Liner in "Blackest Black").  It works fabulous!  It does take a little getting used to, but I've found it really magnifies my eyes and gets in "deeper" between my lashes so as to make my eyelashes and lined eye blend together as one.  I'd previously used Maybelline Unstoppable Eyeliner, which I really liked, as it gave a nice smooth line, but the Gel Eyeliner has me sold!


2)  White Eye Pencil
I'd always lined the top & bottom of my eyes with black eyeliner so as to make them appear larger, when it really made them appear smaller.  MaskCara recommended using a White Eye Pencil at the bottom of the eye in the waterline (lined between the lash line and the eye itself - yes, it seems like you will poke your eyeball).  I bought Covergirl "Flamed Out" Shadow Pencil.  It works wonderfully to open my eyes and make things a bit brighter.  I also have used some slightly dark shadow (maybe a medium brown) and applied it under my lash line, below the white pencil line and my lashes, and it draws the eye height that much further open.



3)  Under Eye De-Puffer 
MaskCara recommended this product and said it really reduced the swelling and bags under her eyes in the two months she used it.  I can tell a difference for myself in just a few days.  (It's either this or the concealer ... or both!)  I don't look quite as tired and droopy and I haven't had people come up and tell me I look tired.  Oy!  Don't say that, people!  I bought the Equate brand of Anti-Puffiness & Dark Circle Eye Roll-on (right beside the Garnier brand on the shelf).  Love it!





4)  Concealer
This is my most favorite product!  I'd been using Sonya Kashuk concealer at Target for 6 months, then I moved away from Target, so I found Revlon Photoready Concealer at my favorite Wallyworld/local drugstore.  I thought it worked just as nice as Sonya's product, but maybe a little cake-y.  Wherever I "patched" things in (like under my eyes), it would cake up and after an 8 hour day, start fading in places and look blotchy.  I figured that was that.  Wrong!  After reading MaskCara's recommendation for the concealer Maybelline DreamLumi, I thought I'd try that too.  (picture angels singing)  It is glo-rious!  No cake-ness.  Blends away beautifully and magically below my eyes.  Covers my imperfections (when, oh when, will I stop getting acne?).  I highly recommend it!  I've learned to apply it under my eyes and feather it down over and below the bags/dark circles under my eyes.  It really hides them!


Tell me ... what products are your favorites?  
I'm always looking for more tips & tricks.  


5 comments:

  1. These are great tips! I need to check out this site. I have been using Arbonne concealer and I am trying to find eye shadows for sensitive skin that stay on for a long time. I use physicians formula mascara and I love it! I only do eyeliner when it is a really special event because I am lazy and not used to too much make up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a lot of good and fun info! I want to try the under eye de-puffer. Also I have always been afraid of liquid eyeliner...maybe it's time to be brave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My makeup is over 10 Years old...nuff said

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need an eye makeover. Dark, dark circles- thanks for the tips. Gotta check out the site!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use a lot of those myself! Love the loreal liner and the eye roller. I also use smashbox photo op under eye brightener (pricey but good).

    New favorites I picked up during my last trip to target: lip exfoliator, makeup mist, and eyelid primer from ELF. They are super cheap and they work great!!! I'm also experimenting with highlighter but haven't found one I like yet.

    ReplyDelete