Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A Two Year Cycle

My husband surprised me tonight.  Nonchalantly, while I was sitting on the floor in front of the tub watching Luke play in the tub, he says, "Luke isn't the youngest grandchild anymore."  My stomach knots.

"What?"

"Luke isn't the youngest grandchild anymore."

He really said what I thought he said.

(Deep breath)

I expected this sooner or later (preferably later).  I'd thought recently (or rather bet to myself) that DH's brother & sister-in-law would probably get pregnant again soon ... another "oops" baby.  Like they don't know where babies come from.

I just sit on the floor beside the tub and breathe in and out.  I concentrate on controlling my breathing.  My throat constricts.  I can't explain the feeling, but I think my chest hurts.  Somewhere in the middle I feel a numbing sensation.  It gets hard to breathe.  My eyes get moist.  It's hard to swallow.

I was just here two years ago.  Two years exactly today.  Experiencing these feelings, only much, much worse.

Two years ago, I'd been blindsided by this same news at my in-laws house by my BIL.  I will never forget that day.  Ever.  The happiness I felt for a new baby, (a gift from God), was eclipsed by anger, bitterness & disappointment.  And rage.  Lots of rage.

I remembered that day this evening as I sat in front of the tub.  There has been so much that has happened the last two years, most importantly the birth of and adoption of Luke.  He has filled up most of my brokenness, but that hurt and ache is still there.  It ebbs and flows.

DH tells me to be happy.  "You'll love the new baby," he says.  "Luke will have fun playing with his new niece or nephew."  I ask him if he's really happy or if he feels a little hurt or sad.  He admits that he feels a little sad.  He didn't know the announcement was coming either.  His admission reassures me to know that I'm not blowing things out of proportion ... that we share the same feelings, the same pain, the same desire to easily grow our family biologically.

I am mad at myself.  If my husband would have married anyone else, he would reproduce like jackrabbits.  That's how DH's family is ... super fertile.  Not me.  I am the broken one.

I shouldn't feel sorry for myself.  I've got a blessed life.  I truly do.  If my body wasn't broken, I wouldn't have my Lukie, and I wouldn't trade him for all the fertility in the world.  But it is so gosh darn hard sometimes to shove the hurt, sadness & disappointment of just wanting to be "normal" and being able to grow your family "easily" back down and swallow it again.

It's hard to think about seeing a pregnant belly in the house again at holiday time (SIL is due in Dec).  My nephew just turned 1 in Feb & by March they are pregnant again.  (I really need to quit doing the math.  It doesn't help.)

I guess I just wish it were that easy.  To just have sex and know that you actually have a chance to have a baby.  To actually co-create a baby with God.  I, personally, don't equate sex with babies.  At all.  They are two unrelated events.  That part of my life isn't the norm.

I suppose if I had one leg, I wouldn't have a normal life either.  But I think I'd still be a little upset at how easy the people with two legs have it.  I'd miss my leg.

I guess what I want to say is that I'm feeling hurt and sadness.  I want to have that option of surprising grandparents and my husband.  The grass is always greener, eh?

I need to quit whining & get my big girl pants back on ... but I wanted to write my feelings down too.  There are so many of you who still long to be moms for the first time or moms to babies here on earth.  I've got nothing to complain about compared to that.

20 comments:

  1. My initial thought is that if you're feeling it, it is not insignificant however I have never been in your shoes and I don't want to offer platitudes. I will however be praying for you and your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow so I just reread this and I don't think it sounded right. What I meant is that you can whine and if you need to feel sad for a while that's just how you feel and you don't need to apologize for your feelings.

      Delete
    2. I knew what you meant the first time ... I got the gist of what I could tell you wanted to say. It's all good. :-D

      Delete
  2. I wish I could offer you a cup of tea and a cookie or something for the hurt and anger you feel inside towards yourself. Please be kind towards yourself. People love you because you are you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That news still knocks the wind out of me. I think it is absolutely ok to feel what you are feeling! Its hard to think about. I am very good at pushing it away until someone close announces another baby. Don't be so hard on yourself though, your husband chose you IF or not! God made sure you two were together for so many reasons! It is very hard to not think about how life would be without IF, but like you said Luke is so worth every bit of IF heartache! Praying for you friend! It is hard.

    PS: I might be writing this very post soon... Remind me of what I have just said. My sister has been hinting that she and her boyfriend have been "trying."

    ReplyDelete
  4. IF still lingers even after a baby...I'm sorting through that too

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel. There are currently SIX of my sisters in law pregnant, one of them with twins, and they all already have multiple children, and I just wait any day for the next announcement. It's a little bit easier now that I have one baby here on earth with me, but it does sting with each announcement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know HOW you are able to endure SIX pregnant SIL's!! I just don't think I could. Prayers coming your way from me! :D

      Delete
  6. Oh A. I'm so sorry :(. Once IF touches our lives, it is so hard. I felt my heart break with understanding when you said "I don't equate sex with babies." I so know what you mean! I heard it said recently that adoption doesn't cure infertility, it cures childlessness. It seems this is a perfect example of just that. I daydream about what it would be like to have sex, get pregnant, and repeat.

    I will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh- that is so hard. I'm so sorry. I was just blindsided by a baby #2 announcement from my brother and SIL while I was home 2 weeks ago (haven't even blogged about it yet). My feelings and reaction are very similar to yours. I know I should be ever so grateful for the precious little girl I have, and I am. Truly she is a gift and I know that, but I can't help but get angry and jealous that I'm not the one that can plan out when my kids arrive, etc. Praying for you in the weeks and months to come that will undoubtedly get harder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is hard, even now. I get it. I'm kind of preparing myself for my sister and BIL to announce the next one - their daughter is only 4 months, but his family is just like your DHs. Lots of babies and in quick succession. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. :( I am sorry for you. I understand how you feel. This is really hard. At least your DH told you and you did not find out on FB or in front of others. At least now you have time to deal with it. The announcement is a bee sting. Then there is the anxiety over every thing else that is to come in the next 9 months. It is ok to want to feel normal even if you have your sweet Luke.
    I know that you want to be sensitive to those of us who are still waiting. I'm still waiting and I feel sorry for you. It is ok to let out your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry you're feeling this way :( I love your leg analogy. It's like if someone told the one legged woman "don't complain, you have one leg, I have zero legs".....yeah, maybe she's in a worse position but being one-legged woman is still hard, it's definitely harder than having two legs. Thanks for being so honest and remember God is with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying for you! I can so relate to not equating sex with babies because it doesn't add up for us IF gals. It must be hard to deal with so I am sending you prayers and (((hugs))).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry! Praying for you, friend! Isn't it interesting how life can be great and then something comes up and brings that pain right back... Not that the pain makes life less great, but life being great also doesn't mean that the pain stops hurting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a SIL.. who literally has a kid every 17/18 months. We expect another announcement soon, cuz the youngest is 9 months. I have to repeat all 8 kids in a row to remember all the names. It's just sick, because each time, they act like they have no idea how "they" got pregnant again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "It ebbs and flows" - you couldn't have summed it up any better than that. So true, my friend, so true. Abiding with you. These feelings are hard, but feel them and then go snuggle your Lukie. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I truly truly understand how you feel! It stinks sometimes waiting around for God to lay His plan for us at our feet. It's hard to want nothing more than to be a mommy and knowing you (as a woman) can't make it happen biologically. I struggle with this ALOT! I thank God for this blog and for my fellow blogging friends that we can share our stories of grief and wade through this life of infertility together. Sending prayers your way friend as you "wade" through these feelings...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I still feel that way too sometimes! It's sort of a loss of innocence that comes from IF...a feeling of "if only it were that easy." Be kind to yourself. Your feelings are your feelings and you have every right to feel them! But you're right, Luke is a blessing and an absolute delight! He is such a charmer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, honey. I have been there. It gets easier over time. It does. Actually, I have finally reached the point where family pregnancies are a joy again. The ones that fill me with rage are the oops pregnancies among people who really SHOULDN'T be having babies (teens, druggies, family members of the kids' birthparents whose lives we are exposed to). Hang in there and keep praying for that burden to be lifted. Pray for joy in these announcements and realize that as much as infertility is a cross and a burden, so can super-fertility be a cross...especially among those not contracepting for moral reasons and TRYING to do the right thing but sincerely needing or wanting to space or limit pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete