Saturday, February 23, 2013

Loyalty

I need to get this all down on paper - so here goes ....

I moved to your average city in Kansas 6 months after I met DH on a blind date on New Years Eve.  I knew that this relationship was going places, so after much discussion with DH & prayer, he liked the town he was currently in, so I would just find a job there.  So I sent out resumes to all the Cabinet places in town (I was in luck, there were about 7-8).  No one really was hiring, but I did follow up on calls to all the people I sent resumes to.  I had interviews at two places.  One was a small Mom & Pop Cabinet Showroom, where they sold Cabinets, Countertops, etc.  The other was at a Builder Supply store (and a pretty crappy one at that).   When I was offered the job at the Mom & Pop Showroom, I accepted & was excited about working there.  They even drove their delivery truck up the 3 hours to where I currently lived to help me make the move, helped pack & drove my furniture back.

I have learned a lot these last 7-1/2 years (it will be 8 years in June).  I've had a great teacher in the "Pop" that owned the shop & have (mostly) enjoyed all the customers & am very confident that I am a great Kitchen & Bath Designer.  I'm not trying to toot my own horn & look down my nose at others, but I think I do a thorough, complete, efficient, proficient job.  It is not award certified, I'm sure, but I do have a lot of happy customers as a result.

As we were growing the business, M (the "Pop") was the lead designer & his wife, L (the "Mom"), was the book keeper & helped with customers.  M's health wasn't great, as he's had heart trouble, foot trouble, back trouble ... you name it.  I quickly learned the ropes and became the "go-to" person in the company for getting answers to questions, designing, quoting, ordering, project management & all customer relations.  By the end of my second year, I was working til 7 or 8 (sometimes even 9) at night on quoting & designing, just to keep up with quotes, while M & L went home at 5-6 pm.  DH & I ate out all the time as I didn't feel like cooking when I got home, so we ended up weighing more than ever.  It didn't do wonders for our marriage, as we never seemed to see each other.

After about a year or more of this, I was getting burnt out & feeling overwhelmed.  M & L began to look for another designer to come on board to help me out.  We hired a young designer from the same college in Nebraska that I went to, who soon moved to our town with family (including two young children).  In the last 4 years, she has been a big help & blessing, as well as a great friend.  She grew up 1/2 hour north of where I grew up, so we have the same background & current weekend travel schedule when it comes to family.  I really like her & we have got along great.  

Over the years, we've always had troubles with getting a good Installer to be on-staff or reliable to install our products.  For a few years, we had a great guy who was easy to get along with.  Then he and his wife went through a divorce & he was never the same.  He ended up throwing a few people in our company under the bus in front of customers & that just wasn't right.  M, the owner, wanted someone that he could have run the company so he could retire for health reasons.  So he found this next guy ... This next guy was hired (he is a cousin of M, the owner), but he just recently is giving his two weeks.  This guy never put in more effort than it took to get the job done.  He didn't want to work nights or weekends or organize anything in the warehouse in regard to being efficient.  I was primarily "in charge" while he got the big bucks.  He was intolerable for us until ... the owner hired his son, J!  

J has been a shop teacher the last 15 years & installed Cabinets & Tops for his dad prior to that.  J also coaches football, wrestling & track at a small-town high school about 20 minutes away.  What that means is that J leaves about 3 pm everyday to go coach the sport of the season, while "making up" his hours at another time.  I do not believe he makes up the hours.  I have not ever seen him in on weekends when he wasn't pressured into getting a job done because he procrastinated too long.  While J has been great about organization, he does it when HE wants to, not when it should be done in regard to customer jobs.  He put off building or installing Customer projects while he spent 2 weeks organizing the warehouse.  That should be done on his OFF-time, not during business hours.  J also is a pretty big know-it-all, as he is always giving his opinion of how things should be done (which is fine if I ask for it, but it is not fine in front of customers to talk over them to "do things this way").  He also wants to do things his way in the Showroom, instead of asking how things have been done, what works best & then deciding that if his way is better (or worse), adapting accordingly.  I have been a very knowledgeable source of information as I've been at the company the last 7-1/2 years practically running our day-to-day & install schedule, but he doesn't ask me anything.  He wants to re-invent the wheel, but I don't know why he wants to, other than to "prove it can be done."  I know what works & what hasn't, but it makes no difference.  

J had thrown me under the bus a few weeks ago, saying that a customer delivery error was my fault (it probably was, and if you know me, I would readily own up to that myself), when he could have just said, "I'm sorry that this was messed up."  The customer was a repeat builder who is very nice & I have a great relationship with him.  Instead, he said, "It is not MY fault.  It is AIHPT's fault.  SHE wrote the ticket wrong."  Also, as we are trying to come up with branding jingles for the business (this has NEVER been done!), there was an idea about a line that I thought I'd dreamt up & it sounded good.  When talking with the man who will actually put together the jingle, my friend the other designer, said that I had thought it up.  To which I replied, "oh, it is a blend of all our ideas, I just put it down on paper."  To which J said, "I came up with that."  Seriously!?!??   

As you all know, we had a major snow storm come through the Mid-West the last few days.  The owners are pretty hard-core about working no matter the weather, but we stayed actually home from work on Thursday, as it was still snowing & we didn't know how much it would accumulate.  Oh ... and also ... guess who wasn't around for the snow (and its removal)?  J (the son) wasn't there because he is a wrestling coach & they left Wednesday at 3 pm (2 days ahead of schedule) to head to their state tourney.  So he hasn't been at work or even working off-site since Wednesday at 3 pm.  As a result, there's no one to blow the snow off the parking lot so we can actually drive in without getting stranded or scoop the sidewalks at work (I do NOT consider snow removal a part of my job, especially if they want quotes done.  Pick a horse, people!).  J also wasn't there last weekend when we had our local Home Show and we had to work 3-9 on Friday & 9-8 on Saturday.  Now by "we", I mean that the only two people that worked were myself & the other designer.  All day.  And we have young children.  J was at a wrestling thingy and couldn't be there.  But he did come in at the end of us tearing things down.  And he is going to purchase this company in June.  Nice of him, huh?  

Back to the snow.  So .... I get a text from the other designer last night saying that the owners have called off work today because of the drifts, there is no one to remove snow, etc.  Then at 12:45 pm today, M calls me and says, "L is mad that there is no one at the Showroom & we are going to get behind on Quotes.  We need to get in there this afternoon & get to work"  I'm blown away.  Huh?  Where did this come from?  Luke is in the other room taking a nap, I'm showered, but not dressed or any makeup on, I'm doing Laundry, etc.  And I need to drop it all to go into work ... now??!!??  I explain to him that I hadn't heard anything from him ABOUT working today & this is kind of short notice, as I told day care that Luke wasn't coming in today, but I guess we can get ready and get out there.  Then M calls me back & says not to worry about coming in today, L will stay at the store, but I & the other designer need to come into work tomorrow & make up our hours & get Quotes done.  ... But ... we HAVE been getting Quotes done.  We both took home projects to work on during the snow storm & I personally have been working on those during Luke's nap times & late at night when I could have been goofing off.  I know I've put at least 1-1/2 days in so far.  But one thing's for sure, if L's mad, then no one's happy.  M is the head of the company, but L is the neck that turns the head, if you know what I mean. 

About 3-4 years ago, M & L decided that they wanted to work more part time than they had been doing for the last 5-10 years, so they came in every other day or so.  Then it drizzled down to every 2 days, then every 3 days.  Now, we see L maybe once a week, if that, for a few hours to do her bookkeeping.  M hasn't been in the Showroom much since his son J started in June.  The problem with that is that when we made the most as a company, we had M, L, me, the other designer & an installer, all working in the showroom full time.  Now, we have me, the other designer & their son J (when he is not at his sports events), but we are expected to still work & perform the same output as when we had 5 people.  Ummm, I'm bad at math, but even I will tell you that it ain't going to work.  All the owners (and future owner-to-be, J) want the income, but they don't want to be there - or replace themselves with another valuable employee.

It is frustrating when you give a company your all, and then it starts to go downhill.  In June, when the son J is taking over, J wants to hire his BIL to come work for us.  Problem is ... his BIL works for J's uncle (M's brother) at the small shop that builds our Custom Cabinets (you got this all straight?!?).  If J takes his BIL from his uncle, he is taking a major part of that company away.  What BIL does is most of the same things that I do ... design, quote, sell & manage jobs, but also he can build Cabinets too.  What I'm worried about is that J & BIL will be out doing their own thing, on their own time, while myself & the other designer will have to try and keep them on schedule.  Have you tried to manage a man who is 10 or 20 years older into doing what you, a younger person (and a woman to boot) wants to have done?  It is like herding cats.  J is pretty headstrong & has BIL wrapped around his little finger.  In our handbook, it states to "not hire family," yet that is all we've been doing!  Only myself & the other designer haven't been related to the owner & his family.  Family business = Family drama.

I guess I give you the background I do to tell you this:  I am considering applying to a Kitchen & Bath Showroom back in my home town.  Since Luke was born, it has been on my heart more to eventually move back closer to home so that Luke could see his grandparents more & we have babysitters (!!) with the aunts & uncles and then when other cousins come along, he will have some playmates.  As I was thinking today (due to all of my work developments, as well as DH not liking his job) while watching Luke & doing laundry, I thought of the perfect rental house that we could move into if we moved back to my hometown soon.  My sister & BIL bought my grandma's house (who died in November) and are fixing it up for a rental house.  They hope to have it rented shortly - maybe by March.  It would be close to home (same town as my entire family) and close to my in-laws (they come to my hometown to shop, as their town is so small).  

I was a little excited about that thought, texted DH about it, then thought that - ok, we need to have income, we just can't pick up and move.  So I said a prayer & asked God if he thought this was a good idea for our family, to let me know what to do.  A little while later, I was curious about what jobs might be available, so I opened up our laptop while Luke was playing & started searching for jobs for DH close to my hometown.  He is a designer/drafter, so I searched for that.  Lo and behold, there was an ad in today's paper for a "multi-tasker" in one of the local Kitchen Showrooms.  I thought that I would maybe talk to DH about this when he got home & see what he thought.  Then a few minutes later, I saw a more thorough job description for another job on Monster dot com in my hometown.  That was even more up my alley.  I began to get a little more excited!  This was God, showing me a new direction, right?!??

PROS to Moving:
 - Being close to family (both immediate & in-laws) & friends
 - Being able to save money / time / mental health / Luke's sanity on traveling once a month for 2 or 2-1/2 straight days and never seeing everyone enough / splitting the time equally
 - Initially renting, but in the end, getting a smaller house (& payment) so DH can stay home with Luke & work on expanding his side business & income (JBTC - you'll love this!!!  :-D)
 - Being close to a Runza again (LOL - it is yummy fast food (like beer rocks) & I used to work there)
 - Being back in a good traditional Catholic parish
 - Maybe our next adoption happens in NE?

CONS to Moving:
- Leaving my job (they just bought me a new computer at work)
- Leaving my house
- Leaving Luke's birth family (we would still come down to visit 3-4 x per year.  I plan on staying in touch 110%.  Also, we are currently FBook friends with his birthmom & birthmom's boyfriend)
- Being close to family  :-)  (sometimes absence makes the heart grow fonder)
- Moving & packing
- All the unsettled, new things a new job brings
- Finding a new adoption agency
- Being away from the NaPro doc that led me to PPVI (but if we adopt, it doesn't matter much, other than I do have her as our family doc & like her a lot) 

I was excited about the whole new job / moving home for awhile, until I thought about leaving the company I've worked for & also our home.  The wonderful thing about the owners M&L is that they have been very generous to me over the years (they are not bad people, despite the bad things I've written here, rather they are very nice & pleasant most of the time).  When remodeling our home, we haven't paid for a single cabinet, countertop or shower that we've installed, and we've remodeled our entire house (I have worked a bunch of overtime for years that wasn't paid for, as I was salary, so DH says I worked for it.  I was always taught by my dad to work & perform as if you owned the company).  When I had Luke, I did get paid maternity leave for 6 weeks (which my friend, the other designer, says they grumbled about me taking so much time off while I was gone, as you cannot have 1 designer doing 2 people's work), but for our next child, I will get unpaid maternity leave, as they said "they can't afford it" (which is odd, as L still earns full salary + profits comparable to what I make for doing a few hours worth of work each week - yes, I know, perks of being an owner).  However, in August, they removed my 401K benefit & their contribution to it because it "cost too much", and then said, "oh, we'll give you a bonus to compensate for our missing contribution," which hasn't happened yet.

They also haven't kept their promises very well on promotion.  I've been told I was going to be a Vice President of the company (which doesn't mean very much when there are only 3-4 people), but still ... why say something & then never follow through ... just don't say anything to me at all!  I've been told since October that we are going to see how well the company performs (get our 3rd quarter stats on Profit & Loss) & get final year-end info on how well we did for 2012, but we have yet to see any information about that (they do share stuff with us on performance, who our biggest clients are, etc), but there is no "big game plan" for what to do to improve the company (like, how about we do "x" and "y" for sales improvement).  The owners are just absent most of the time, so they don't see what goes on & what needs to happen.  And with their son J being in it half-heartedly (it seems), I don't think it will get better.  There are also no employee reviews or compensation package available.  Just salary, which is 40 hours + working Saturdays (9-4) as needed, so some weeks, that is  47 hours with no day off the following week.  You just work extra.  No health insurance.  No 401K.  No paid maternity (the other gal is mad, as she wants to try and have another child).  

I'm torn on my loyalty for the company vs. what's good for my family (which I feel is moving home), feeling like I'm jumping ship (if I quit, the other designer will soon follow, as she also wants to leave too for the above reasons, but BIL will come on board, so they're not totally screwed), afraid of disappointing the owners & having them mad at me after all they've done for me, sad for missing my repeat builder customers & knowing that I do my job well, hating that I would go from "top dog" down to "low dog" again, afraid / sad of leaving the life & city I've known for the last 7-1/2 years, leaving my beautiful house (yes, there IS always another), hating to pack & move & say goodbye ... it is just ... I HATE change!  I'm also a people pleaser, a pessimist & a worry-wart (lets play the "worst case scenario" game - or the "I have a plan for "x,y,z" game.  DH hates both).  Granted, I have YET TO APPLY, but my mind is racing & I can't sleep.  If you have any prayers or advice on how to make a decision like this, I'd welcome them both.

27 comments:

  1. Praying for you! The only loyalty you have is to your family and what is best for them. Have you tried speaking with the owners about your concerns? It might be better to try and bring up your concerns first rather than just picking up and leaving. It will be tough because it is a family business but they need to know their son is unprofessional and may run the company into the ground!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had several talks with M the owner about how things are being done, how we as designers have a higher standard than the installers (including his son) & how family relations aren't a good thing, but it hasn't helped. He knows of our (mine & the other designer) concerns but there has been nothing done to fix them. He just seems to listen so we can "blow off steam", but then doesn't provide a solution or talk with the offending party. Plus, they have sided more with their son now that he is on board, which is a no win situation.

      Delete
  2. And another thing, they don't have health insurance?! If you don't have health insurance through your husband's job then that is a huge check mark against the company you work for in my book. No health insurance with all they expect you to do and all the hours you are working, oh no they didn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is correct. No health insurance. I get mine through DH's work. Before we were married, I had a few months with no insurance. Now they did buy some basic health insurance as a benefit for the installers, but that is because they didn't have any health insurance & worked around power tools all day.

      Delete
  3. Your loyalty is to your family, first and foremost, do what's best for you and your family.

    And can I just say what a neat job I think you have? Design is always something I thought about doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second Karen - your first loyalty is to your family!! You have to do what's best for you and your family. It sounds like it was ideal at first, but isn't any longer...

    And I also agree with Kat- no health insurance? That's insane.

    Moving closer to family would be awesome.... we are hoping for the same ourselves at some point... it is scary to think about, but exciting at the same time. Agreed - how awesome would it be to have convenient babysitters! Especially since grandparents, etc, are free, haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds to me like you've been very loyal for the last 7+ years. It also sounds like, no matter how much M and L love and trust you, they will always choose their son or other family members over other employees. It would be difficult for you to give your notice, you've obviously got very good reasons (need for insurance, personal leave benefits, desiring more time with your son and whole family). They might be frustrated and upset, but even if they didn't say it aloud, I bet they would understand in their heart of hearts that your reasons are valid. Given that things sound like they'll only continue to go downhill in the future, with the changes that will likely be happening, it seems like this is a good time to start moving on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a tough (and frustrating!) situation. I admit after reading the first part of your post and then getting to where you said you were thinking about applying for a job in your hometown, I was thinking, "YES! YES! YES!" :) Obviously I don't have the culmination of 7 years of experience at the job to know how you feel, but that was my gut reaction. I agree with the others--doing what's best for your family comes before anything. If you know the future of the company is with the son, then you have to ask yourself if you would be able to work (happily? contently?) in that situation. Will M&L be out of the picture soon or significantly reduce their influence when the son buys the company? It almost sounds like two different places to work if the change will be that drastic... Could you and your DH apply in your hometown and see if one or both of you gets the job before you decide to leave this job? I will definitely be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M&L will transfer ownership of the company this June. Then L will only do bookwork, but no ownership.
      I am calling to find out more info on Mon & definitely applying to both jobs. We would get a job (one of us ... With health insurance :-) ) before we would move.
      You have some great advice ... and reaction! Yes! Yes! Yes! Those were my thoughts too. :)

      Delete
  7. I went to a Runza once... I don't get it and why all you Nebraskans love it so. That being said there was an obvious tone switch in your post.

    You wrote about your current situation and seemed sad and angry. And when writing about the possibility of moving you seemed hopeful and excited.

    I personally wouldn't mind living with hope and excitement. I would have the same loyalty and concern about leaving a company as you. I would say that you shouldn't make it personal. Clearly family is important to them so instead of saying anything about your working conditions just spin it as you really need to be closer to your family right now.

    I think you know what to do. Its good to put it all out there though both for the therapeutic factor and hey now we can all pray for you guys too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my personal opinion, if you're heart is in your hometown then you will continue to "find" reasons why you should move back there. I don't mean to sound like the things you have going on now with your current work situation aren't real things to be concerned about, but you will find them more annoying then ever as the days go by with your heart in another area. There is NO better feeling then being home :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, it was so interesting reading about what you do for a living! I had no idea. I would love to be able to do something like that, how cool! Only I have no vision :) Anyways, I second that your allegiance is first and foremost for your family. I'm a people pleaser too and hate hate hate letting people down but once you have kids, man if you don't advocate for what's best for them, who will? The business will go on and they really will be OK. Living close to your family is priceless and it sounds like you are good at your job and will be able to find another job in no time. And look at it this way, at the very least, if you look for another job and have another offer, maybe that will make your current employers step it up and make these things happen that they said would happen for the longest time, you know? I've seen a lot of situations like yours where the person in the small family business that's not related gets the short end of the stick...for way too long. Advocate for yourself! That is not mean, its business. As women I think we don't do this enough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I say go for it! Sounds like they are going to keep stringing you along. The change will be fun, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Get your apps started for your hometown now! Ok...seriously, read back over your post and I think you'll know the answer to the questions you posed. Follow your heart; it knows best. You have put so much into the company, you could leave knowing you have done the best you can. Leave with no regrets and go out on a high night. Plus, like you said, who knows if J will want to keep you around once he hires his BIL. And having just completed a total cross-country move (almost 2,000 miles), moving within the state would be a breeze:-) Well, it would still be a lot of work, but the 3 of you would get through it. Like I said, I think you already know your answer. Don't 2nd guess yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with the rest of the comments, your only duty is to your family. I'm a people pleaser as well, and a very committed employee. I've made similar arguments to myself in past jobs, and found that when I've stayed things don't end up changing much. So if you are starting to become unhappy now, and things seem to be getting worse, they probably won't improve much when the son takes over.

    You have proven yourself as a solid employee and though it is difficult to leave a situation where you are proud of your work and what you have accomplished, a fresh start somewhere new (complete with additional benefits such as family nearby) will give you the opportunity to tackle new challenges and learn new things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to be a people pleaser and then I realized that it´s because I want people to think I am the world´s best friend, daughter, etc. and in saying yes to so many people I have sometimes neglected my home and my own kids (by saying I am too tired to drive them to a friend´s house or school activity). What???!!! It should be the other way around...my kids, home and family time should come first!!! Thank God I realized that and now I so easily say NO, I CAN´T (and I don´t even give a reason). I am so much happier :D Also, would you ever pick anybody over your son? I didn´t think so. They won´t do it either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loyalty is to your family, but that might mean that you stay where you are because you have a "good" job and don't know what your possible new job would be like and if your family depends on your income, it might be more practical to stay where you are at.
    Maybe that is because I am losing my job and feel like I am letting my family down...so I am tending toward security in my thoughts right now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A couple of years ago, when I was looking at moving, I also struggled with the part about the loyalty with leaving a job that I loved and people that were extremely good to me. The thing was, what started out as a perfect fit (in that I was what they needed and they were what I needed), gradually changed and what they needed I couldn't give and vice versa. I eventually had peace about the fact that that job was right at the time that I had it, but it was also time to move to the next thing. It really sounds to me like this job isn't going to last for you, regardless of whether you move or not, so if there are currently some openings around home, I think you're going to look into it!

    I'll tell you one thing that I learned when looking at moving. You pray at each step of the way (like you are obviously doing) and when one door opens up, you explore it further. So if you feel like looking into it, and there are jobs there, apply and see what happens. Maybe you'll get the job, or maybe you'll realize that it's not a good fit for you. You only have to feel peace about one small step at a time; you don't have to make the whole commitment right away! Praying you find the decision that's right for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is nothing to indicate that your work situation would improve. If anything, it looks like it would just get worse. I think if you stayed, they would just continue to take advantage of you. I say get your portfolio together and apply for new jobs if you want to or have to work. Yeah, moving is a pain. Like Catholic Mutt said, just pray through each step.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ugh, I was stuck in a dead-end job with an awful boss for years, so I kinda sorta know how you feel. My boss was the worst with the nepotism too, hiring his ex-Nanny and other friends and family who weren't qualified. Me & Hubby were his first employees, were supposed to have been promoted up to VP's or some equivalent, but as the company made more money, he got greedy and we were making LESS and less each year (smaller bonuses), despite the company making millions more. Crazy.
    Bottom line, you have to do what's best for your family! I say try for the new jobs, and see what happens :).

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's so tough. Praying you have peace in whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just emailed you with a really awesome PRO to moving. ;) I'll pray for God to show you the right path. What a stressful situation!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, I love, love, love this post!!! (Sorry, I was gone over the weekend and for some reason my parent's computer EATS all my comments on blogs, so I didn't even try to post, but I was super excited when I read it!!!) As so many other commenters said - loyalty belongs to your family and it doesn't hurt to look! And you have an awesome job - so cool!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes, I love, love, love this post!!! (Sorry, I was gone over the weekend and for some reason my parent's computer EATS all my comments on blogs, so I didn't even try to post, but I was super excited when I read it!!!) As so many other commenters said - loyalty belongs to your family and it doesn't hurt to look! And you have an awesome job - so cool!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been thinking long and hard about a job switch and my counselor encourages me to apply. If I get the job, God wants me there. Such a simple way of looking at it. You have some great advice here. I've thought a lot about this post over the last few days since I read it. The thing that I can't get out of my head is that it seems like it's just going to get worse, instead of either staying the same or getting better. You are an awesome worker that any company would be blessed to have as an employee. Praying for your discernment!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Tough decisions! Colin and I are going a similar process right now--we are considering moving 3 hours away, a lot lot closer to my family! With us adopting, we want to be near family and prayerfully, purchase our first house. Colin has applied to a position and is on an eligibility list, so we are just waiting!

    A lot of thinking goes into a big move...pray, think about what is best for your little family and then your bigger family, and your future baby/ies! I think your heart will have peace when thinking about the path God is leading you. You will know!

    ReplyDelete