Hoping everyone had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!!! On Sunday, we got together with my mom's side of the family for most of the day. It was a good time to see everyone again and catch up. This is the second year we've done this. It was a long day. We had a 3.5 hour trip to get there in the morning and one to head home again that night. Lets just say that on Monday ... we slept in really late! The Sunday with my family made me realize just how fast a year has gone. I remember really clearly when we saw everyone last year. All the babies last year are now toddlers and everyone's growing up way to fast!
My parents were the only family there without grandkids (they are the only family on BOTH sides of the family without grandkids). I don't know if it bugs my parents like it does me, but it bugs me (darn that jealousy) that my other family members are able to get pregnant (so easily). My aunt & uncle, for example, have two sons in their early twenties. One of their sons has three boys already and their other son just welcomed a daughter four months ago (both my cousins had kids at a young age out of wedlock). This same aunt and uncle also "accidentally" got pregnant with twins. If you've lost count, thats six little kids under the age of six. My other cousin has three little boys and is pregnant with her fourth. She's 34. In her struggle to get pregnant this last time, she had two miscarriages within the last year. She's been able to get pregnant with only "a few months of trying." I don't wish her ill at all (I've prayed that she would be able to get pregnant & carry the baby to term), its just hard to watch them enjoy something you'd like to enjoy too.
The hubby and I had a long talk in the car on the way home. We want to be parents more than we want to get pregnant. I have been calling around getting information these last few weeks from different adoption agencies and attorneys and we have narrowed it down to one option ... and a plan. We are going to keep on with the medicines at PPVI, but we're going to start the adoption process. A local agency has some reasonable fees and we can complete our homestudy with them. There's no guarantee of a baby with PPVI and there's no guarantee of a baby through adoption. If anything happens with us babywise and God blesses us, that's great, but I'm tired of "waiting" for something to happen. My dad, who is very religious, is praying for us ... and keeps telling us to pray, but God doesn't always answer prayers in the way (or timeframe) that you want sometimes.
At the end of September, it will be one year since my laparotomy. I don't know if adoption is what God wants me to be thinking (or if these are the appropriate thoughts in which to begin the adoption process), but I'm just going to jump. In praying at church a few weeks ago, I realized that God isn't going to "take it easy" on me. He knows I can handle the tough stuff, so maybe I AM supposed to pursue adoption. It isn't an easy road, but I've read many blogs where it is so fulfilling and rewarding and people can't remember what their lives were like without their children. I want that. And because I want that, I'm going to start down a new path.
Everything you said made perfect sense to me! Congrats on moving forward with the adoption paperwork. Although stressful, I felt such peace knowing that I am open to life either through adoption or conception. We will be blessed with babies according to God's will. I will pray for a smooth transition into the adoption world. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited for you! It seems to me that this inspired feeling you're having about jumping into adoption is the Holy Spirit working in your heart!
ReplyDeleteOur adoption "counselor" uses an analogy that was very helpful for me: Infertility is like a roller coaster, and most times its hard to tell which direction you're going, or when it will be over. Adoption is more like crossing a bridge, and if you take it one step at a time, you will eventually get to the other side (even if it takes a while!)
I'll be praying for you, for sure!
Congrats on moving forward with the adoption paperwork! :) I'm so happy for you! I wonder the same thing - am I right to be pursuing adoption when I'm still thinking pregnancy is a possibility. Remote, but still possible. You'll be in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteJust came across your blog for the first time. Thank you for sharing your story! I truly believe God leads us to adoption when the timing is right and He will prepare your heart for whatever He has in store for you. I have two children (one adopted and one biological) and thank the Lord for the blessing of both. While I looked at adoption as plan B it was definitely God's plan A for our family. I look forward to following your journey!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry I'm commenting so late to this post! Having a plan is almost liberating isn't it?! I thought everything you said made perfect sense. I pray you find your way to mommyhood- be it birth or adoption. It's truly wonderful, and trust me, you'll see the day you forget you adopted a child and all your remember is the awe inspiring-never-stop-praising-God feelings you get when you look at your sweet baby's face.
ReplyDeleteIf you need any information at all, please let me know. Praying and looking forward to updates!