Well, friends, it was a crazy Friday, which turned into an unmotivated weekend. For work (I design Kitchens), I have to go into people's homes and measure their existing spaces before beginning to design something new. My Friday measure didn't go as planned ...
I live in a smaller town of about 50,000 and there are several clients who live outside of town in the country. I had a measure that morning for a job that was just outside of town. Well, it had rained that morning and a bridge was out, so I tried to find another route to go a little out of my way and get back to the same road I was on. In my attempt to re-route, one of the roads I turned onto was a mud road, not one with gravel. Oops! By the time I could slow down, I couldn't go backward or forward without the wheels spinning. I was stranded! Argh!!!
I called into work and two of the guys came out in a pickup to pull me out. Well, they couldn't make it down the road without going into the ditch!!! The first attempt was to slide off into the right ditch. With a lot of rocking forward & back, they were able to get back to the gravel. The second attempt wasn't much better and they slid onto the left side of the ditch. They pulled back onto the gravel and I decided to leave them there and I would roll up my jeans, take off my shoes and walk out to the gravel road and just leave my vehicle locked and sitting there on the side of the road.
The nice guys that they were, they were bound and determined to come out and meet me part way so I wouldn't have to walk so far. Well, lets just say they should have stayed back on the road. :) After I got in the truck, we tried to backing up to the gravel road, but we slid off into the left ditch again and couldn't get out!!! The pickup was slanted into the ditch, which was full of water. Mud was flying, wheels were spinning, the engine was smoking and the poor guy driving was trying all sorts of maneuvers. We were contemplating calling into the store to send ANOTHER person out to get the three of us!
However, a few prayers to Mary and St. Rita of Cascia and we gave it one last go. And we made it! When we got back to the store, everyone was amazed at how muddy the pickup was. It was quite the morning!
P.S. The REAL color of the truck is blue ... which you can see (barely) near the front bumper.
That afternoon, I received a home-made sign that showed a picture of a truck driving through a swampy marshland / river and the tagline said "Look out! Amanda's Measuring Again!" Oh, the joys of making a fool of yourself at work! Lets just say that I had a few drinks that night!
What a crazy story! I am glad no one was hurt trying to get the truck out of the mud, and wow, I cannot believe how much mud is on it!
ReplyDelete