Thursday, December 19, 2013

Saying Words

I don't think I have anything to worry about yet, but I wanted to get some feedback to ease my mind.  When we were down to see Luke's birth mom, Becca, she mentioned that the doctor was concerned about her older son, E, not talking and communicating the way a 3-year old should.  He doesn't say too much in words, but uses the phrases that Luke does when "talking", sounding like gibberish baby talk.  They were going to test to see if he was autistic.  Seeing E the little bit that I do, I don't think he has any severe problems.  He listens to directions and communicates non-verbally or points / grunts to what he wants.  He whines or gets mad like any normal boy too.  :-)  Becca mentioned the doctors are concerned because he is still non-verbal.

What concerns me is that Luke hasn't started saying any words either.  None.  He used to say "mammmmm" when he was upset and wanted me and and "da-da-da-da-da" when he was talking about anything else.  Now he walks around saying gibberish that sounds like "tickle, tickole, tickole, tickole" (sometimes really fast, like he's having a conversation or telling us something).  He understands us when we tell him "no" (ok, about as much as he wants to sometimes) and tell him to "get your blankie" or "Luke, do you want a bath?"  He KNOWS what's going on (and runs to the bathroom for a bath).  I just worry that he ISN'T saying any words other than gibberish, knowing that there might be a potential family history there.



I know sometimes that kids don't talk until they're ready, and I still believe that. The blessing (and worry) of reading things on FB and other blog posts about other children, is that I sometimes compare the things they do vs. the things Luke can do (and worry about his lack of skills).  One little boy about Luke's age can draw with markers (say what!?!  Luke would eat those!).  Others are talking in phrases and saying things. Still others are potty training.  Stuff like that.  I don't want Luke to grow up too soon, but I don't want him to fall behind either, with a problem that I could (and should) catch early.

I know each child is different and develops at a different rate, but what is and isn't normal for talking for an almost 21 month old?




11 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better at all I had this exact same freak out last night. C understands and follows directions and says about 10 words. I have been reading tips on Mommy Speech Therapy on 8 Ways to get your Child to Speak http://mommyspeechtherapy.com/?p=78 I realized that I am an enabler and not trying to get him to communicate with me. I am going to follow some of these tips and give it until the end of January and then schedule an early intervention assessment. I figure it's free and if he does need help then we'll get it and if he doesn't need help my stressed out little heart will be calmed. Gosh Luke is cute! Oh and funny you mention markers, C only eats crayons so we color with pens and markers over here. (But crayons are SUPER delicious don't worry.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madeline's advice of making sure you aren't enabling is great (not saying you are, but it is a common thing with toddlers who aren't talking and can often ease a lot of concerns). An easy thing to do is to start with food (when Luke is hungry but not starving), and work on encouraging him to say "more" and "please" and then add the food name "more juice" "milk please" for examples. You can do the same with his toys - but them out of reach so he has to ask for help, like "Momma help" or "Momma toys please" etc. Also, naming body parts is great fun too!

    Oh, and the answer to your question, between 18 and 24 months, kids *should* have between a dozen and 50 or so words they say regularly and clearly. It's not really until they are between 2 and 3 that they start stringing 3 - 5 words together in clear sentences. The jabbering is all a pre-cursor to that and is totally normal and a good thing!

    Also, don't focus too much on exact pronunciation at this point - approximations are perfectly acceptable so "momma please" might sound more like "Momma eeese" or "More juice" might sound more like "or ju". With practice the better pronunciation usually comes.

    Ok, one more thing and I'll stop. There is a lot of truth to the fact that boys usually talk a little later than girls because they are too busy climbing and running to be bothered. So, take that into consideration as well.

    Sorry for the long comment - in my "former life" before I worked for the Church I was a preschool teacher for kids with hearing loss, so language development was a constant part of my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My second oldest didn't talk until he was about 2.5. We don't know his medical history so I understand your concerns. Our ped wanted to schedule him for an assessment but we decided to pit it off for another six months, and in that time his language exploded. He hasn't stopped talking since (he is 5 now). That was our experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mya wasn't using any words a few months ago either, just grunts and groans. But Rebecca's right, make him ask verbally for things. We've made her say "more please" "help please" etc... And it's made a huge difference. Lots of praise for using her words. That being said, boys generally talk later but it's ways good to mention it to his pediatrician. If you're worried, ask because we knew snthonys birthmom had delays, we are always quick to ask when we are concerned. We want him to get the help he needs it. His gross motor has caught up with help and we are glad we brought it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A - we are so alike! I am not sure if you saw my post on fb, but we actually had Elizabeth evaluated by a Birth-3 coordinator and speech therapist yesterday and while they are coming back for the 2nd part of the visit, they did say they would have liked her to be a bit more "noisy" and talking, etc. But they gave me a bunch of things to work on - very similar to what Rebecca and Karen mentioned above. Elizabeth's understands everything we ask her to do and in fact yesterday was completing tasks they asked her to do that they mentioned were at a 3 1/2 year old level. So the concern wasn't her ability to understand, but the fact that she wasn't using words to communicate back with us. She may qualify for speech therapy and we will know for sure at the end of January after she gets her hearing checked and also after they finish their second visit. That being said, I got some great ideas and suggestions to help from Kaitlin at More Like Mary, More Like Me blog. Do you know her? She is a speech therapist and it was really great to e-mail her and get her thoughts. She confirmed my suspicion that I should get her evaluated. In our state it is free and if she does qualify for therapy, they come to our house to do the therapy until she is 3 (again all free). My DH and I have really been working on not enabling her and have been teaching her sign language so that she at least has to use a sign to get what she wants, instead of just pointing. All of this to say, I don't think it would hurt to get him evaluated to ease any concerns you have. If you want to chat more, don't hesitate to call or e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so stressful when it comes to stuff like this isn't it?? :s it's also really hard not to compare because babies and toddlers and even kids learn and do things at such different times. M and his cousin are three months apart and are at very different places when it comes to talking. I think it sounds like you're doing all the right things and the ladies here have given you some
    Great advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a good friend and her almost 3-year old son doesn't talk a whole lot but you can tell he understands everything going on. He's 100% healthy and happy right now but doesn't have a lot of motivation to talk. He's extremely physical (walker v. talker). My son, on the otherhand, is a total chatterbox but he's more timid when it comes to physical activity. Your gut instinct is usually right! I'd say it's too early to be worried :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, what a cutie! He is getting SO big! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have anything to add to the advice, except that an evaluation can't hurt. Our friends' son had speech issues with a tongue tie they never clipped, so he had therapy to work on pronouncing the ends of words and it was very successful. I love hearing his "talking" though, so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am really late on responding so this, but I wanted to say that I completely understand your concern! Talking is pretty much the only thing that Sam has done early....he didn't even crawl until his first birthday! I hope you were able to think about an evaluation or at least talk to your doctor about your concerns. My nephew didn't start talking until after 2 and even then it was only a few words until he was about 3. Mike's cousin didn't talk until he was 5 and he was then saying complete sentences very clearly. But I hope you're able to do an evaluation if you're worried! He really is such a happy goofy kid :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was so worried about my son also, but his pediatrician was never concerned since he understood what we were saying. I had him evaluated at 19 months, and they placed him at a 7 to 11 month level. He qualified for a play therapy group, which was once a week. Not sure if that's what helped, but he said his first word "up" shortly after 19 months, and didn't say "mama" until about 21 months. I spent so much time worrying and reading about speech disorders. Then suddenly at about 22 months his speech took off and before I knew it he was speaking sentences, singing songs, and counting. It happened so fast. I think he was just taking everything in and wasn't ready to talk. Boys are typically slower in speaking. I now have an 18 month old daughter, and she probably says a few hundred words and says short phrases. Such a difference. I wouldn't worry too much.

    ReplyDelete