Sunday, November 3, 2013

What's your Favorite?

We are re-doing our Kitchen shortly and I have to make some decisions regarding flooring ... what color do I pick?  I am the person who agonizes over and over on things, as well as second guesses herself at every turn.  Even though I do this for a living, it is easier to give advice and recommendations to someone else, rather than myself.  

Here are the two final options:
Materials Shown Above:  The dark Cherry "Mocha" door is for the perimeter Kitchen Cabinets.  It is the color, but not the door style.  The painted wood chip sample is the color of the Island.  The Countertop color is Wilsonart HD laminate in "Cosmos Granite".  The floors shown are both vinyl plank (not your typical sheet vinyl).  This way it looks more like real wood and also a plank can be removed if it is damaged and replaced with a new one.



Option 1 Flooring is pictured above ... 
It is a traditional looking floor, which my DH says will go best with the house.  It does pick up some color in the Countertop & Cabinets (which I have on order already, so they can't be changed).  



Option 2 Flooring is pictured above:
This is more of a "grey-ish" modern color tone than the first floor.  I'm worried that it may be too modern for the house, although I like how the colors loook together ... it blends nicely with the greys in the Countertop.  But then, I still have warm wood tones in the Living Room, which is open to the Kitchen.  

This is our front entryway (the door is off to the left).  At this point, I'm keeping the stair riser and handrail stained, but I am going to paint the rest of the trim white.  Gasp!  Yes, don't paint old trim ... there are people who say this (like my relatives), but the back of the house has painted trim, the living room has a different color trim (you can see on the doorway) and I just want it all to blend.  The Entryway has original hardwood floor, with a beautiful orange tint (blech).  There is a spot in front of the dresser.  I know people don't like to cover up old hardwood, but I'm considering putting the vinyl plank here so it ties in this area with the Kitchen.  It is either that, or I stain the floor a different color.  What would you do?



This is an antique dresser I have in the entry.  It is my younger brothers, as it is on "loan" to me until he has a place to put it.  The flooring choices against the dresser make me think the floor on the left (Choice #1).



Here is the Dining Area as it is across from the Kitchen.  Notice the trim here is painted and is not "original" to the house.  Well ... the baseboard closely resembles original trim.  I showcase my new-to-me Craigslist Table and 8 chairs.  We can use 4 chairs at the table and 4 chairs at the new Island - saving me money on bar stools.  Score!


A shot of the existing Kitchen.  Note the beautiful baluster rails separating the Stove from the Refrigerator ... the beautiful soffits ... the ceiling fan ... the cabinet handles in the middle of the doors.  Oh, I'll miss it all.  :-D


Here you can see DH posing for all you ladies out there ... I told him that I was taking pictures for my blog, so he'd better move or pose.  So pose he did!  :-)  The Cat calendar is the side of the Wall Cabinet, with a wall behind it.  If I moved the box of diapers with red bag on top, you could see that the Countertop wraps around from the sink to the peninsula where the bar stools are.  You could also see that there is no Dishwasher and only 2 usable base cabinets (I use the term usable lightly).  Whoever built the Cabinets didn't take into account some corner clearances, so not all the Cabinet doors open.  Also, the Refrigerator door doesn't open all the way, as it hits the peninsula Cabinetry at about a 75 degree angle.  We are removing the wall with the Wall Cabinets and extending the Cabinets on the sink wall out to the end of the dropped ceiling / play cubes on the sink wall.  Then we will create an island at the same spot the two chairs are at, but increase the length so we'll have two more chairs.



This is the view into the Living Room. We love the open space, as Luke has a lot of room to run and play, and with the new Kitchen layout, we can keep an eye on him more when we are in the Kitchen.  Remember that I'm painting the trim on the windows, as the trim in the back is painted.  


This is a view from the front door back towards the Kitchen.  You get the full effect of some of the mess we have here.  And ... I did not decorate the walls, as I knew we'd do the Kitchen as soon as we could after moving in.  We have all of our Kitchen things ... plates, bakeware, food, etc in the bedroom on the main floor, so we wouldn't have to move stuff twice (I'm trying to be smart about it.  Haha!)  So we've been somewhat "camping" since the middle of August when we moved in.


THE NEW KITCHEN LAYOUT:  A Bird's Eye View
Here you can see the overall layout for the Kitchen.  The Refrigerator relocates to the Sink Wall.  The Stove slides down from its original location.  The island creates better traffic flow, openness and more countertop space.  Yay!





P.S.  The island will truly be one color ... I couldn't get the computer to show off the Cabinets right ... but you get the idea.  :)





Now that you've seen the plans for the Kitchen ... and seen what the rest of my house looks like ... What's your vote??  

Do you prefer .... Floor #2 (on the left) ... or Floor #1 (on the right)???






17 comments:

  1. I like # 1. I need a good craigslist find for a table & chairs.. dang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love the new kitchen! I vote for #1- it looks more warm and inviting. Have fun with your decision. Can't wait to see the final product!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You're going to have a great looking kitchen. I'm with the other two ladies with option #1. I think it goes best with the overall style of the house and it has a variety of tones that would work well with any wall color.

    Either way - enjoy your new kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS - you are going to show us after pictures aren't you? Pretty please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When that's what you work with every day, I find it interesting (would it be correct to use the word "ironic") that you end up with a house with a goofy kitchen. At least you know what to do to make it more functional. In my opinion, definitely floor #1 on all levels. Can't wait to see some after photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. #1. I love the new kitchen design! I'd love to redo our kitchen someday but with catholic school tuition approaching, I will be happy with the way it is :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No doubt the whole time I kept thinking #1...and it looks like other readers agree! I don't like the #2 at all...too trendy!
    I want your new kitchen in my home....I love it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of it!!! But I agree with #1 would look best! So excited to see this come to fruition!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like #2 but I like #1 better. I would totally cover up the hardwood with the vinyl. Someday you can uncover it if you want to, but I'd be way less paranoid about a toddler damaging the floor if it was vinyl. I love your new kitchen design.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think floor #1 goes with the overall feel of your house. I love the new kitchen plans and I can't wait for you to post pics when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. #1 caught my eye right away, before looking at any of the other pictures. The remodel pictures look gorgeous!! Looking forward to seeing real life pictures of the finished kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't cover the wood floor! You MAY be able to pull up the vinyl floor one day , but your wood will be damaged. Real hard wood is so beautiful and sturdy. I had hardwood floors refinished at my old house. It was the entire living room and hallway. I had THREE kids, including a precocious little boy, and those floors were still shiny three years later when we moved. Have the ugly orange stripped off and then you can refinish them with whatever stain you choose. We had a lot of vinyl flooring in my house growing up with four kids, and it was constantly getting cracked, gouged, and ruined. Stick with the wood.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think #1 would look really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Option #1! Oh, and your staircase makes me swoon. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. BTW, option 2 doesn't look modern to me. It looks like a nice old weathered floor. And, I like that the "grain" of it is not so in your face as option 1.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We put down vinyl laminate and I love it. Cleanup is a breeze, and everyone who sees it thinks it is hardwood.

    ReplyDelete