I talked all weekend with my family & in-laws about whether or not to move & take the job. Everyone was in agreement that this job would be more dead end down the road, the company would go downhill, my co-designer would leave & I would be unhappy that I missed the opportunity for the job that is currently offered.
As I drove back from my hometown & the in-laws house today, I thought that this evening would be as good as any to go over to the owners' house & give them the news that I would be putting in my two weeks. I prayed & asked Jesus to be right beside me holding my hand. I asked St. Joseph to give me the right words to say, as he was the one who guided his family on the flight to Egypt, so would he watch over our "flight" now.
A neat thing that I just realized today (nothing like a lightbulb moment!), is that to get to my new job in my hometown, I travel from the main downtown road and turn onto St. Joseph Avenue, which runs right into the building where I will work. Imagine that. St. Joseph's patronage & watchful presence wherever I go. :-) I do really believe he interceded for bringing Luke into our family, as I have definitely asked his intercession since then more frequently.
I texted M (the boss) and L (his wife) to ask if I could stop by tonight to talk to them. I wanted to vomit just thinking about telling them and wanted to not even give two weeks notice ... just not show up. I had DH go over a few lines with me about how to start the conversation & I rehearsed them over and over and over and over for about a half hour & all the way to their house. I just wanted to get it over with. L opened the door & led me back to the family room where M was. She sat down & I sat down. We exchanged a few pleasantries. Then I said my piece, "Since Luke was born, DH & I have wanted to be closer to family. We have decided to move back to my hometown in the next few weeks & I wanted to stop by tonight to let you know & to give you my two weeks notice."
They asked me a few questions, "How, When, Why, is it because of our son taking over?" All I said was because of family & gave several examples. They said they understood the reason & that they would miss me both personally & professionally. They said that the company would be hurt by my leaving & they asked who would organize things if I was gone. I told them I hadn't talked to anyone about this, not even my fellow designer (which is stretching the truth a bit). I told them jokingly that BIL would have to come over sooner to take over, to which they said that if BIL came over to help their Son, it would be in the warehouse, not in the office. Well ... they've got to come up with a plan for that now. They said that I was like a daughter to them & they hated to see me, DH & Luke leave. I apologized for leaving through tears, got several hugs from L & left. The tears were real. I am truly sorry to leave & for the impact it will have on their business.
The next thing I know is that my fellow designer (who wants to leave ASAP too) texts me and says that M&L want her to come over to their house. I tell her that I haven't said anything about her wanting to leave. She is nervous & terrified about what they will talk to her about. I told her I was praying for her and I have been. It is hard to be untruthful, but if your heart isn't in the job anymore, it is time to move on.
Tomorrow, I get to call the manager at my new job & tell them I accept their offer, as well as put in an application on a rental house. It is both nerve-wracking and exciting to be moving forward with a new job & city, leaving everything I've known for eight years behind.
** UPDATE: So I called my friend, the designer who works with me, to ask how her conversation with M&L went. She was there for an hour and forty five minutes! They apparently were blindsided by my leave. She gave me the info that when M&L told their son I was leaving, all he said was "I figured she would, it is no big deal." Oooohhhh, I am so mad! I'm glad I'm leaving. He doesn't know what he's missing!
** UPDATE: So I called my friend, the designer who works with me, to ask how her conversation with M&L went. She was there for an hour and forty five minutes! They apparently were blindsided by my leave. She gave me the info that when M&L told their son I was leaving, all he said was "I figured she would, it is no big deal." Oooohhhh, I am so mad! I'm glad I'm leaving. He doesn't know what he's missing!
I am sorry that you cried :( I know it must have been hard.
ReplyDeleteAll will go well !!
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited for you! Yay!
ReplyDeleteWow, way to be strong! I know that must have been so rough to get the words out....but oooh, that son! I sincerely hope he doesn't run that company to the ground because M&L sound nice! Your new job will definitely be happy to have you :) That's so neat too about St. Joseph too, love it!
ReplyDeleteI love St. Joseph so I definitely think that is a sign. It sounds like everything worked out well and that everything is going perfectly. I will keep praying.
ReplyDeleteFrom everything you've said, it sounds like you definitely made the best decision! Not only for your sanity :) but also for your family. Congratulations again!! :) And prayers for your move!!
ReplyDeleteExciting news!! I hope the transtion goes really well into your new town and new job.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the new job and the move! Exciting and scary, yes, but it sounds like the right thing for your family right now. Praying for a smooth transition for you!
ReplyDeleteI am so happy you went through with what your heart was leading you to! God was with you the whole time. I bet you are quite relieved and I hope your move and change of job brings you peace and joy!
ReplyDeleteGlad you are finding peace in this new season.
ReplyDeleteThat's tough, I'm sorry! But I'm really glad that you won't be working for their son. However, now you can get on with the business of moving to the next chapter of your life. So excited for you!
ReplyDeleteWow...so exciting! Look at how things have changed in just a weeks time frame, huh? Talk about God's hand being so clearly over every single part of it. Love it!
ReplyDeleteSo amazing with how much class you have to tell M and L in person and keep it together to say only nice things and focus on being closer to family as the reason for your move. You could have really thrown the SIL under the bus and said mean things, but you didn't. You just left it alone (they'll learn his true colors soon enough) and went out with class.
So excited for you to be closer to family, but understand the bittersweetness of leaving your home and job and everything you've known for the past 8 years. You will get through it, but it will be hard and emotional at times to pack up and move. I just went through it after having been somewhere for 9 years. It'll be hard to leave your house and all the memories surrounding Luke being there for almost the 1st year of his life. That'll probably be the toughest part. Take lots of pictures of your home now before you start packing it up. Maybe even a video to show Luke when he's older. I walked through our home and videoed each room...shared a story or two about the room, etc. Some day we'll sit down and watch it with R and show her our 1st home...the home that we prayed for her in and then brought her home to. Email if you need more ideas or just someone who understands the move process!!
I am so excited for you! It is always hard to change jobs, especially when you've been at your current one so long... but it seems to be the best choice for you.
ReplyDeleteIt is so nice to be closer to family! I will pray the move goes as smoothly as possible.
Wow! I'm amazed that you found a new job so soon and so quickly. I'm glad it's working out. Good you are leaving on good terms with M & L. I am saying CONGRATULATIONS to you. Best wishes. That's all wonderful.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your job offer! Prayers that this change really blesses your family!!
ReplyDeleteJust caught up on your job situation - first, congrats on the new job! And yay for moving closer to family!! :)
ReplyDeleteI want to say that I can sort of relate to your emotions regarding loyalty... I worked at my former job for 8 years. It was hard to move on. But it needed to happen. I think the owners of this company need a wake-up call. No matter how nice they are, you a) weren't getting the fairest compensation and hours anymore and b) like you said, the company was no longer being run well, and you need to do what is best for you. As I was reading your story I kept thinking that the owners, as nice as they may be, were sort of taking advantage of your competency and taking it too easy.