Sunday, September 23, 2012

Motivation

I've been lacking the motivation to write blog posts, and update everybody on what all has been going on in my life. I've also been lacking the motivation for doing other things in my life ... Like losing weight.
I've been saying since January 1 that I am going to lose 30 pounds. And here it is almost the end of September, and I haven't done a single thing but gain weight. I've thought about running, but haven't started doing that. I thought about doing videos, but haven't done that either. I have no excuse anymore, as we re-carpeted the basement and got rid of all the dead bugs that were hanging out in the carpet. Ewwww.
It's harder now with Luke, but it's not impossible. He usually goes to bed about 8 PM, and so by 8:30 PM at the latest, I could be going downstairs to exercise. I had no excuse before Luke. :-)
I'm having a hard time with work & loving on Luke after work (til 8 pm), finding the time and motivation to do things. I'm not a morning person. I'm usually always late getting to work by about five or 10 minutes. Plus, I'm usually the one up with Luke at varying times of the morning feeding him his bottle, getting him ready/entertained and getting me ready. Also I am the one that rocks him to sleep at night starting at 8 o'clock.
I thought about a running app: "going from couch potato to 5K," and I've also thought about Jillian Michaels workout stuff. I know it may not be realistic, but I want to try and lose 20-25 pounds by the end of the year.
Any recommendations?
What do you guys do to stay in shape?

15 comments:

  1. Well, I seem to be moving the wrong direction, so I may not be the one to ask! But I think the biggest thing is consistency. Consistently doing the exercise. And for me, eating right is crucial. I'm gaining right now because I haven't been eating right. When I eat right, I'm not hungry all the time, I'm just not eating the wrong snacks. Sorry, not very helpful, but anything that becomes part of the routine is better than something that you only do once in a while because it's too hard or too long or whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I forgot to add that I absolutely love that first picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My tip is eat more veggies.. I'm not a motivated person either.. Not a morning person by any means.. so working out in the morning, is out of the question.. Do you take walks in the evening with Luke? I know it's not playing, but you would be spending time together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My tips - eating well (you probably know I eat mostly paleo) and Crossfit is my exercise of choice. There are lots of things you can do with minimal or no equipment - yesterday I was doing jumping lunges and sit-ups using a dumbbell (I didn't have the right weight plate). Boy do the jumping lunges work the areas I need - rear & thighs! :-D Seriously though, I have C's stroller in the garage (where we have workout equipment) and just put him in there, turn up the tunes and he watches me... I talk to him as I go, count out loud, etc. Most of my workouts don't last more than 20 minutes but they kick my butt! :) C might think I'm crazy, but at least it's something new for him to watch!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you on this big time!! Claire is so needy/clingy that I barely get housework done, let alone any work on my exercise routine. I still have half my baby weight to lose (25 more lbs) and then I wanted to lose 15-20 on top of that, so I have my work cut out for me! I'm just tired of looking like a blob. I started taking Claire to a local mommy and me yoga class. It's not much but at least it's some form of exercise once a week! Doesn't help that my appetite is through the roof and all I seem to want is chocolate!! Lol!! I know I am no help at all...if you find a good program that works, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luke is so so cute, and we have that exact exersaucer !!! Gemma loves hers! :) Well I was losing weight for a while by eating lots of veggies, no dairy and limited meat products. But as usual for me I stopped short of my goal by 6 lbs and fell off the wagon! Lol the Jillian michaels DVDs are pretty good. I did them before I got pregnant. I have been trying to go on walks with Gemma for cardio and I lift her up in the air for arms. She weighs a ton so hopefully I'll start getting toned up a bit.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. P90X worked well for me but it's SO time consuming and not mommy friendly so I'm worried about post partum weight loss too. I did see that the same company ( beach body) put out 10-15 min workout DVDs and I'm going to look into them for after baby arrives. It's tony hortons 10 minute trainer program. I'm sure it's intense, so we'll see how it goes. I know it's not easy, but you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmkay, I am not exactly the girl to ask since I have been overweight for a long time, but I did manage to get all the baby weight off and I've been losing a little at a time without any real gain back. I use myfitnesspal. And that's it. I just set my goal up to lose 1 pound a week with zero exercise. Then it tells me a calorie allotment to stay under to meet that goal. If I work out, I add it, and get more calories. Some days I meet my goal, some days I don't but it's not judgmental and slowly I have seen results. If I make better choices I get to eat more--and when I do sneak in exercise I do Walk at Home DVDs. So simple. So easy. Leslie Sansone is not obnoxious or mean. Which is a bonus in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah, sorry, how cute is he?! I just want to squeeze him!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The two best things I do to lose weight are the two most obvious - eat less (but more fruits and veggies) and exercise at LEAST 30 minutes 4 or 5 days a week (doing strength training two of those days). That is literally the ONLY way I can ever lose weight. And I feel fantastic when I do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anthony and I go for loooong walks after work! And I mean Long! Sometimes between 4 to 5 miles.....he loves being outside. But, this weather is not going to last much longer in the state of Minnesota so I guess I will need a new plan :) Don't be too hard on yourself. Try to be healthy and more active for yourself and your son but do it all in moderation. Enjoy being a new mom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the bib! I went on a specific diet a couple of years ago for anti-inflammatory to keep the endometriosis at bay. Without a single minute of extra exercise, I lost 20 lbs. It was so easy and I ate pretty much all of the time. But I was eating fresh produce and meat and fat instead of grains. That was the difference. I'm entirely serious. Cut sugar and grains out of your diet for two months and see what changes. The weight will slip away and your whole self will improve. It helped my moods a lot. Very important to get fats in your diet...that's where a lot of people go wrong. Fats balance the natural sugars in produce and give you important things that you need for your brain, etc. Good fats...animal fats (butter and lard are WAY WAY WAY better for you than vegetable oil and margarine) and stuff like olive oil and avocados. I use coconut oil in all my cooking now. Check out wellnessmama.com for more ideas and research on this kind of diet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I second the Paleo/Primal recommendation - if you haven't seen the Mark's Daily Apple site yet, check it out! He says you can get to 85% of your genetic potential with diet alone. Protein, lots of good fats (like Lisa described - butter, animal fats, etc), and no grains or sugars is the way to go.
    I'm resigned to the fact that I'll be carrying these extra 20 lbs as long as I'm on the domperidone/breastfeeding, but I'm with you - I'm totally ready to get into shape. I'm going to be starting up Crossfit again as soon as my chiro gives me the okay, too :).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of awesome ideas above - I am so inspired. I am in the same boat and I am TIRED of being overweight. I gained 40+ in the 3 1/2 years of infertility (can we say stress induced eating) and then with the 48+ with Elizabeth, yeah it NOT a pretty site. Anyway, I have lost almost 30 of the pregnancy weight, but I have a long ways to go. I get so overwhelmed by the sheer number that I end up doing nothing and when I do do something I feel like I saboutage it by allowing myself to fall into the mentality "hey, I just worked out I deserve a piece of chocolate...what have you". To that end, I read this awesome article yesterday and it really got me thinking about how to change some of my bad habits (but why it is incredibly hard to do so) because our brains are literally wired to NOT want us to change. Great article, I highly recommend it. Another blogger had it on her facebook page.

    http://www.cracked.com/article_20028_5-ways-your-brain-tricks-you-into-sticking-with-bad-habits.html

    The article said it takes 66 days of repeated activity to ingrain a new habit so that it is part of your routine - like being on autopilot. So, I decided to move (e.g. walk, do a workout video, anything, etc.) for 20 minutes a day for the next 66 days (starting yesterday). No excuses, no nothing. I set the timer on my phone and just go for a walk. The last two days I ended up going for 30 minute walks, no biggie. I know this probably sounds really minimal, but I figure I have no excuse for not doing something for 20 minutes a day. At least it will get me moving. Oh, I also committed to not stepping on the scale during this time. This is about getting me up and moving, I don't want to worry about the weight so much...knowing me, if I do lose weight, I would probably fall back into - "yeah, I can cut myself some slack", etc.

    All this to say, good luck!!! I am right there with you and hopefully we can cheer each other on! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete