Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A Question about Holy Hour

For those of you that are Catholic, I have a question that I'd like to get your input on.  I probably could just ask a priest, but I don't totally rely on their "more liberal" answer like I do yours (I live in a more "liberal" diocese) ... unless you tell me that you have no idea and to check with a priest anyway.  :)
I've had a scheduled hour at our Adoration Chapel for the last few years now (I can't remember when I started going).  It has always been 2-3 am on Wednesday morning and I started going because I wanted to grow closer to God by sitting in front of Him and taking the time out of my day to focus on Him.  There are definitely less interruptions for me, especially at 2 am!
I have had my hubby come with me in the last year or so, as I hoped God would work through my DH and plant a seed about Catholicism not being so bad and opening his mind to the beliefs we believe as Catholics (perhaps through prayer he would convert at some point?).  My DH wasn't happy about that specific time interrupting his REM sleep, so I recently switched my time to Tuesday mornings from 12-1 am, and he'd gone with me regularly until Luke joined our family.
I had a Holy Hour the evening/morning of the first day Luke was born.  I didn't want to leave Luke alone at all (I had to get my "mommy fix" & didn't want to be very far away at all) and I couldn't get a replacement.  I'd spent ALL day calling the multiple substitute list they give you, but it didn't work.  So, as my hubby had been going with me prior, he said he would go pray during my Holy Hour and I could stay with Luke.  So that's what happened.
There have also been two other times in the last 3-1/2 months since Luke came along where I was just totally wiped from late nights / early mornings / 3-4 hours of sleep a night and my DH went to Holy Hour instead of me.  While I appreciate it, I am also wondering if this is a sin of some sort?  Do you have to be Catholic only to go to Holy Hour?  I know DH doesn't believe the EXACT same things I do, but he believes in God, Jesus, the Trinity, etc.  DH says his religion is Christian, not a specific religion like Methodist or Lutheran, & does pray when he goes there (which is the point of going ... to grow closer to God & talk to Him).
My question:  Do I need to confess anything?  Is what I'm doing considered a sin?  Should I be the one going regardless of how I feel and just offer it up?

14 comments:

  1. I can't answer your question, but maybe this is God's way of leading your hubby into the Church. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know for sure, but I'll try to remember to ask our priest (we live in a very conservative diocese and have Perpetual Adoration at our very conservative parish).

    However, I would definitely the purpose of Adoration is to spend time face to face with God. To my knowledge, there are no "rules" about who is spending time in Adoration, only that they understand that Christ is truly present in the Eucharist that they are adoring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Karen - and that Jesus is not left alone when the Blessed Sacrament is exposed. How awesome that your DH is willing to go alone...I think the Holy Spirit is whispering to him :).

    I'm at a conference for work so I'm sure I'll get a chance to ask someone :) - I'll let you know what I find out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is absolutely not a sin for someone who's not a professed Catholic to be adoring Jesus in your place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. NOT a sin at all for either of you. Your DH can not receive Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, but he will receive many graces for adoring him. How amazing that he (and you) do this! I haven't ever done a regular holy hour (since graduating from college...it was so easy then because the chapel was right on my walk to and from classes).
    God Bless you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a 68-year old Catholic woman, and I am sure it is NOT a sin for you or your husband. There's nothing to confess. I applaud your husband for going by himself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is NOT a sin to go to adoration if you are not Catholic. Going to adoration kept me going as I was waiting to come into the Catholic Church. My priest (an orthodox one) encouraged me to attend. He said it was good to visit Jesus, even though, and especially because, I could not receive Him in the Eucharist.

    How wonderful that your DH would go in your place!!! So special! Maybe attending adoration will draw him into the Catholic Church?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What they said! He's going, he's praying, he's being respectful. Nothing wrong with any of that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No sin! Anyone can sit with god too keep Him company!

    Bless your heart! I can not believe he goes by himself! That is AMAZING!!!! Absolutely AMAZING!!!

    Miracle that he goes alone! I'm shocked! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I say no sin and think its great your hubs goes. No doubt God is doing mighty things during that time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree....not a sin at all! Good for your husband! What a sacrifice, especially with your little baby! I am sure God is working on him! You should have your hub watch aywh's documentary about adoration. I'm sure you could probably get a copy from her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The fact that your husband is willing to spend time with our Lord like that is incredible. His heart is open. I doubt you could find any priest who would say that that is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All I've ever heard was that Jesus couldn't be alone. What a blessing it is that he goes and that you are committed to adoration! That is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your husband going is an act of love for both you and Luke. And your husband is spending time with Jesus. What's the best what of getting to know someone? Spending time with him or her. I'm impressed you would go in the middle of the night. I can't imagine how this could be a sin.

    ReplyDelete