I finally decided this year to write a Christmas letter to our families and friends. In the letter, we disclosed the news that we are adopting and have been approved to do so. We also included the following paragraph to help people see a little of what our struggle was.
"As many of you know, we have desperately wanted to start our family for years now. After Amanda’s surgeries last year, we thought they would do the trick, along with various medicines, but there are still underlying issues that we haven’t found. Although we are still open to life, we desire to be parents more than we wish to have a biological child. Because of this, we have spent the last six months researching, doing paperwork and completing a home study so we can adopt a child. As of October 21, we are officially approved to be adoptive parents should a birth mother choose us! We are using a local agency, coupled with a lawyer, in hopes that we can have more exposure. It has been difficult watching as our family and friends begin and expand their families as we still wait to become parents. We ask for your prayers as we carry this cross, as well as for God’s guidance in the adoption process, both for us and for all birth parents, who have difficult decisions to make."
We celebrated Christmas with our families in our hometowns, spending a few days with each family. We started with the hubby's parents in northern Kansas up to Christmas Eve. Hubby's brother that hadn't been to a family Christmas in 2 years showed up and it was great to see him again! It was a good time with his family ... up to the opening of the Christmas presents. We draw names to buy just one gift and that went well. Then at the end, was "Baby J" gift time, for the new grandbaby-to-be. Hubby's mom had wrapped up a monogrammed suitcase with the baby's name on it and had stuffed it with baby clothes out the whazoo. We spent about 15 minutes watching the new parents-to-be pull out outfit after outfit. While it was worse than having my wisdom teeth pulled, no one else realized it was (Hello! Didn't they read my letter?). Hubby gave up feigning interest and decided to play on his iPad. I gave up looking in their direction at all and began counting everything in sight to keep from crying and tried to think of all the people that had requested prayers and tried to offer up my situation for them. I wasn't in the greatest of moods after that and it really affected my mood the next day at my parent's house.
My dad, ever so thoughtfully, had read an article in the Columbia magazine about a couple's use of NFP, adopting, and then seeking treatment from the Pope Paul VI Institute. After their first adopted son, they had four more kids with the help of PPVI. He had saved the magazine article and gave it to me to read after we arrived. It may have been uplifting to some, but at the time, I wasn't having it and got sad at the fact that not all stories end up with such a happy ending. I know that someday I'll have a baby, but it seems to take forever to get there!
After Christmas celebrations with the family, we came back home and I wrote Thank You's (yes, I believe in Thank You's for all gifts) to my family and apologized for my lack of enthusiasm and "Pouty Patty" attitude. Sometimes its easier to get out my feelings in writing rather than in words, as I would cry before anyone could understand what I was saying. This week, I got the most wonderful, handwritten card back from my dad (that I'm saving for all eternity). I received it at work, so was a mess after I read it. Here are a few snippets that make me weepy:
"As a parent, I can feel the pain you are experiencing, as for us it took over three years to conceive you and the emptiness you feel in waiting ... You and DH have done all the right things up to this point and continue on with them. As humans, we want things to happen on our time schedule, but the Lord has His plan and it is a much better one. I know the both of you have faith in the Lord & Blessed Mother and you have shown the love you have for them and for each other. So what you need to do now is to HOPE ... and that takes a deep committment. God has heard your pleading and petitions and He will answer you, for where two or three ask in His name, He will respond. I had read just recently that after having received Holy Communion, and as well as when going to Mass, to ask God for a special intention, for that is when He is close to you. I am saying a daily prayer for you to St. Joseph, as he had lived a life of trust and great virtue and is always at our side to help ... I don't think DH's mom had meant to hurt your feelings, but that has happened and it is hard to overlook ... Continue to pray as I am for you and one day it will be sweet success."
I can't tell you how good it felt (and still feels) to be validated in my feelings to become a mother.
One of our other big Christmas Letter Announcements is that we are also working with a lawyer in a larger town about 1-1/2 hours south of us, in addition to our caseworker at Catholic Charities in our town. They have more exposure and we didn't have to do much more than write a single letter for the both of us (a total of 2 pages, vs 3-5 pages) and narrow our pictures down to six. It was hard, considering we'd made Mixb.ooks of photos and stories of us, and had just ordered eight more. The lawyer said that they want everyone to be on an "equal" playing field. Well, I don't! I want the care and detail I went into to be reflected in how much I desire to become a mom and for that to be evident. Oh well. I will have eight momentos now. Our lawyer has afforded us with more exposure and opportunities, as in my last post. THANK YOU to all who commented and prayed. We haven't heard more about that opportunity, but decided to include our profile in the running. In addition to that opportunity, we have had several other times to have our profile shown, and are just praying that we'll know when the "right one" comes along. That ... and we need to save more money! The big number at the end is scary!!!
I've also been talking (over email) to my BFF, who recently told me she was pregnant with twins. I disclosed my hate/hate relationship with Faceb.ook and why I don't check it anymore (too much baby stuff) ... and also how I don't handle baby situations well. She is surprisingly ok with it and even volunteered to come see me in the next few months. I'm really considering it, and might to decide to drive to see her, as I'm sure traveling isn't fun while pregnant, but especially not with twins. I'm trying to think of it from the flip side of the coin, and I'm glad that she is too. I told her about the suitcase full of baby clothes and how I was hurt and she agreed that she would have felt the same and probably stormed off. I'm glad God is working with us (me especially) on our relationship and preserving it.
Today is my SIL's baby shower (for baby J). I decided not to go. I'm sure some of you will think that cowardly and some of you not, but for me, its what I need to do right now. I hope that if my SIL were in my shoes, she would understand how painful it would be to attend. I'm sure enough happy people (like my going overboard MIL) will be there that she will have a great time anyway.
_____________________________________________________
Awhile ago, I had the opportunity to pick a saint for 2012 ... mine is St. Francis Xavier Cabrini. She is the patron of immigrants, emigrants, hospital administrators, orphans & against malaria. I'm not sure quite how that fits, but I am sort of an "administrator" at work ... I'm the hub and information person ... so maybe that's why.
Inspired by the grace of God, we join the saints in honoring the holy virgin Frances Xavier Cabrini. She was a humble woman who became outstanding not because she was famous or rich or powerful, but because she lived a virtuous life. From the tender years of her youth, she kept her innocence as white as a lily and preserved it carefully with the thorns of penitence; as the years progressed, she was moved by a certain instinct and supernatural zeal to dedicate her whole life to the service and greater glory of God. She welcomed delinquent youths into safe homes, and taught them to live upright and holy lives. She consoled those who were in prison, and recalled to them the hope of eternal life. She encouraged prisoners to reform themselves, and to live honest lives. She comforted the sick and the infirm in the hospitals, and diligently cared for them. She extended a friendly and helping hand especially to immigrants, and offered them necessary shelter and relief, for having left their homeland behind, they were wandering about in a foreign land with no place to turn for help. Because of their condition, she saw that they were in danger of deserting the practice of Christian virtues and their Catholic faith. Undoubtedly she accomplished all this through the faith which was always so vibrant and alive in her heart; through the divine love which burned within her; and finally, through constant prayer by which she was so closely united with God from whom she humbly asked and obtained whatever her human weakness could not obtain. Although her constitution was very frail, her spirit was endowed with such singular strength that, knowing the will of God in her regard, she permitted nothing to impede her from accomplishing what seemed beyond her strength.
- from a homily at the Canonization of Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini by Pope Pius XII
Your father wrote such a beautiful letter! I was crying by the end of it! I am such a "daddy's girl" and reading how a father approaches his own daughter's struggles with infertility is inspiring and brings HOPE. I love his message and I hope you continue to find great peace in it for days to come!
ReplyDeleteMy SIL and I do not have an good relationship and I am waiting for the next pregnancy announcement to come from her. So, I can understand some of your emotions. You listened to your heart by not going to the baby shower and that is OKAY!
I love the extra exposure you will be getting with the adoption! Your child is waiting out there for you....hopefully you are brought together soon!
I, too, was crying at the end of your father's letter. I often forget my parents waited and tried for SEVEN years to conceive my brother and another three for me. This really reminded me that my parents, just like yours, know what my DH and I are going through. What an amazing letter. I think I will read it over and over!
ReplyDeleteAnd that story about the baby clothes and suitcase... ugh. I cannot imagine. Ouch. :(
Praying for you! Love love the Christmas letter... hope wonderful things come of it!
I'm so sorry that your MIL was like that, especially after you sent that letter! She should have done that in private.
ReplyDeleteThe letter from you dad made me cry! Girl, you are so lucky to have such a loving family that cares so much about you :) St. Joseph is amazing! He was Jesus's "adoptive" father, and I really felt a connection with him b/c of me being a step-mom. You might find comfort in praying to him.
It's great that your bff is so understanding. Mine wasn't and got mad at me when I cried the first time she told me she was pregnant.
Good luck with the adoption process! I can't wait to hear how things go. I'm praying for you! :)
I love what you included in your Christmas letter! I'm sure it was scary to put your heart out there like that, but I bet it's a relief to have been able to share in such a poignant way.
ReplyDeleteI also loved the card from your dad. How thought-filled and sensitive. Did he and your mom have troubles conceiving you?? I wonder if there's a genetic link there?
Sorry about the difficult at the in-laws. I think you made the right choice not to attend the shower, especially coming so close on the tails of Christmas. Don't feel guilty about not attending. I think you did the best thing.
I think 2012 is going to be the year for you!!
Yes, my parents were married in Oct 1977 and I was born in June 1981. They tried for 3 years, but didn't see any doctors or anything. I think my mom had Endometriosis, because she had horribly painful periods. She said after she had kids, they got better. She has gotten pg 6 times, but has had only 4 kids. Me, then my sister 2 years later, then 2 miscarriages in 1988 & 1989, then my sister in 1990 and my brother in 1995. I'm not sure how long it took to conceive my brother, but initially my mom had problems. The 2 miscarriages were attributed to low progesterone, so once she took shots, she could carry my youngest two siblings to term.
DeleteI also loved what you wrote and I give you credit for having the courage to write it. I cannot believe that they would do that with the trunk when you are there. That is so insensitive. That should have been saved for the baby shower. I totally get why you could not go the the shower, bc I am sure that she would have put on an even bigger show than the trunk and you would have been crushed. There is no need to go if you are uncomfortable. Your dad is sweet. What a great note.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't have gone to the shower either. In fact, I stopped going to showers 2 years ago. For the first two years, I was always there and even hosted quite a few, and finally, it just became too much for me. Don't feel bad for not going. They should understand.
ReplyDeleteThat note from your dad is SO sweet!!! Love it! And no, I don't think it's cowardly that you didn't go. Sometimes, a person just can't, and that's completely okay. I agree, your SIL should definitely understand. Sorry that your MIL was so insensitive. Sounds like she just doesn't get it!
ReplyDeleteWow, so much going on! I think it is awesome you write thank you's and I love that you were honest in your Christmas letter too! The letter your dad wrote made me cry. I think it is so awesome you have that support from him. I will keep my ears open-you never know if I will know someone in your town who is pg and open to adoption now that I know we are so close! In time I bet you'll know why that saint is yours. p.s.I absolutely love your new blog look (sorry if it is old, its new to me!)
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for sharing that snippits from your letter and your dad's letter. So excited for you guys to be working with a lawyer in addition to the agency. I continue to pray for you and your hubby! And believe it or not I should have your sign to you very soon... Its only taken me like what almost 6 months lol
ReplyDeleteWhat a blessing to have such an understanding father! His words were so heartfelt and he seems like such a wonderful man and father. Isn't it great to have someone get it?
ReplyDeleteYou are such a brave person to have included your IF in your Christmas letter. Now you've opened the floodgates for prayers!
And your MIL. She just doesn't get it, does she?
I pray for patience for you and all your dealings with her.
Your dad's card was just beautiful! It's so nice when someone understands where you're coming from. I hope your SIL understands you not going to the shower, but it sounds to me like that would not have been a good thing to do right now!
ReplyDeleteI think it's very important to be open about our struggles with infertility and having children. Many times this suffering doesn't even cross others' minds and they can't figure out what is "wrong" with us. Of course, people should be who they are and some people carry their cross privately. I feel that we get the support we need (or at least some type of understanding) when we let our family know what is going on. What your dad wrote you is absolutely beautiful and you are right to treasure those reassuring words. I am praying for HOPE for you and your husband. Hope, Hope, Hope...
ReplyDeleteLove, Sushine- computer having problems signing in!!!
Your dad sounds like such a loving father. What a wonderful support to have in your life! I'll pray for your strength to deal with the inlaws and their celebrations. You were really brave to share your situation in your Christmas letter; you never know what adoption connections can be made from sharing your story!
ReplyDeleteI love your dad...beautiful!
ReplyDeleteYou expressed your IF struggle so well in your Christmas letter. Part of me wishes I had the courage to do the same. I'm sorry there were some who still didn't understand, despite the letter, but I was happy to hear about your Dad's beautiful card. I think you did the right thing with the shower too. I went to the hospital to see my college roomie who just had a baby this week and I cried when she handed her to me. A shower at this point would just be too much for me too.
ReplyDeleteI have HOPE for you dear sister! Just reading your blog, I can tell you are so sweet. I am praying the wait is not long for you to meet your precious child!
Good for you for writing the Christmas letter you did. So the baby has a monogrammed suitcase? Ugh. Some people do NOT get it. I stopped going to baby and wedding showers. How many showers have I hosted? Quite a few. How many showers have I attended? Many. How many of those women are still my friends? One. Most women are too busy with their new husbands and children to bother with their single friends. I've learned that the hard way.
ReplyDeleteGood for you for NOT going to your SIL's shower.
I too believe in writing thank-you notes for all gifts.
I'm glad your dad wrote you such a beautiful letter.
And if your patron saint is a patron of orphans, she may very well intercede for an orphan who needs parents such as you and your husband. I see the connection.
How exciting about the adoption and waiting! We just started the process (hopefully our homestudy will happen in the next month or so) and I've decided to blog again. I'm excited to keep updated on your adoption!
ReplyDeleteThat is such a beautiful letter from your dad. What a man of faith. That is a real blessing. I am glad that you are going to get more exposure for possible adoptions. That is very exciting. Sorry about the in law situation. That is supremely difficult situation. I hope they are somewhat understanding. Praying for you.
ReplyDeleteWow, let's going on in your post and update! Loved the letter you wrote, that takes courage, so good for you. I also loved your Father's letter to you, so touching. I don't blame you for not wanting tong to go to your SIL's baby shower. I always had a hard time with them. Hang in there and keep us posted on the adoption front!
ReplyDeleteI am excited for you and the adoption process! Honestly, your MIL, while certainly deserving of being excited over a grandchild, just seems to me to totally lack sensitivity. I mean c'mon... the suitcase packed to the gills thing after everyone else exchanged one gift? The holidays are emotional enough! And she could have done that at any other time, privately. Anyway, this is definitely one of those uh, opportunities for sanctification. St. Frances pray for us!
ReplyDeletep.s. what an awesome letter from your dad. A father's affirmation and prayers is priceless.
ReplyDeleteWOW, this post is so full! I am sorry for all you are dealing with emotionally. I am so glad that you dad sent you an awesome letter!
ReplyDeletePraying for you!!
What a beautiful letter from your Dad. I give you so much credit for writing about your journey in your Christmas letter. I have found myself getting so upset that IF is such a "secret," and yet I can't bear to tell others about ours so it's such a tricky, hard, painful thing.
ReplyDeleteGood for you for not going to the shower, especially after the Christmas gift incident. I truly don't think people do these things to hurt us purposely, yet somehow, when I'm trying to tell myself this over and over and over again it doesn't hurt any less.
Thank you so much for all the sweet comments on my blog :). I love your letter to your family, and especially love your father's reply. Good luck with your adoption wait - I hope it's a short one!
ReplyDelete