Sunday, March 22, 2015

Making Ugly Beautiful (Part 1) (pic post)

Well, I didn't mean to just disappear off the blog - this has been totally unintentional. It has been busy at our house. We have been working on house projects for the last few weekends and this weekend we have been traveling back to Kansas to see family and friends.   I wish I had better time management. :) 

As Luke's third (!) birthday approaches, I've gotten bit with the whole "the house needs to look presentable" bug. So I've gotten the "urge" to paint, redecorate and purge rooms and stuff. 

I began with the entry foyer. It looked like this when I started. 




Here it is mid-painting ...



I started by painting the trim white (three long and lovely coats of paint - I HATE stair railing - drips are the devil!) and then two coats of color. It is a nice beautiful blue. Kind of like the color that was in our old house. You can see where I started painting and then thought, hey - I'd better take a picture. :-D 

I need to put some "after" painting pictures in another post. I haven't taken any yet (totally should have!) and as we are flying down the highway I'm kicking myself for not doing so. :)

I do still need to decorate and hang pictures. That shouldn't be too bad - I'll have to post once I get that done. 

The next place we painted was Luke's room (or rooms). As we live in a turn-of-the-century house, the rooms upstairs are small and weirdly configured. So there is are two rooms you go through before you get to Luke's room where he sleeps. There is a small "hallway" that we converted into a reading nook that is pretty cozy and comfy with lots of books and a recliner. And we need to get his twin bed set up (and painted) in the other room. 

Here are some (terrible) before/during pictures (it's a small room):
(Above - this is the "hallway" where we made the reading nook)

(Below- this is the left side of Luke's room. DH is standing by the doorway into the room)

(Above - this is the right side of Luke's room. I'm standing inside the doorway.  You can see where we started painting green in the alcove.)

We also painted our new Master Bedroom and hung some lights by the bed. I need to get my headboard made still and hang it. That may be awhile. I still have a goal of getting the middle walk-through room painted and turned into a playroom before Luke's birthday. It will help give the kids somewhere to play for the day. 

I love the orange and blue in this photo!

I also love the cream and blue together. 

Although Luke's not a girl, I may try to work in some fuschia - it pops so pretty! 

Well - my phone's almost dead - and I want to get this posted while I can. I hope to check back soon and catch up with you all. Prayer buddy - I'm praying for you!!










7 comments:

  1. I love all the pictures! And seriously, that stairway...swoon...oh, that is beautiful! Can't wait to see the "after" pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job! I love how our decorate. You should write some basic how to posts for decorating. I want to decorate, but there are so many decisions that I just get overwhelmed and don't feel confident, so I don't do anything. Beautiful wood in your home! Glad you got to see family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea - to share what goes into decorating - not sure if I have a true rhyme or reason, but it's a great idea!! Look for posts like that in the future! :-)

      Delete
  3. Love how YOU decorate....I saw there was a typo... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these updates! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the orange and blue too!! I wish you were closer to me than 5/6 hours because I would for sure have you help me figure out what to do with my entry way! I am a firm believer that there's no girl or boy colors so add a pop of fuchsia if you love it. I still love your floor choice btw.

    ReplyDelete