Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Adoption Interview

For posterity (and those curious), I thought I'd share how our adoption interview went today.

We met with Erin and Tracy from Lutheran Family Services today for our interview, which lasted about 30-40 minutes.  It was a nice, friendly, easy-going conversation between the four of us.  I usually get nervous in interviews, but I guess since we've been through the adoption process once already, we kind of knew what to expect and aside from initial nerves, we were ourselves ... meaning, I talked a lot and DH talked a little.  :-D

They asked general questions about adoption and parenting ... "Would you parent an adopted child differently than a biological child?" ... "Why are you starting the adoption process?" ... "Do you like risk?" ... "How do you cope with change?" ... "What does having an open adoption mean to you?" ... "How open to racial diversity are you?" ... "How open to special needs situations are you?" ... "How does your family (parents/siblings/grandparents) feel about adoption?" ... "Do you have any felonies/records you'd like us to know about" ... etc.

Then they asked a question about, "How have you dealt with grief and loss in your life?"  In clarifying, we had to make a statement sharing how we have dealt with grief and loss in any manner, so I shared with them our infertility story and how my friends online and in the online FB Catholic Infertility/Adoption groups are so supportive ... and then I cried ...  I was so not meaning to cry.  But I shared how without infertility and adoption, I would not be Luke's mom and how I was *so* grateful to be his mom.  DH got "moist eyes".  And then I apologized for crying.  UGH - I hate to cry in front of strangers.

After I cried, kept thinking in my head that I blew it and that they wouldn't want to give the opportunity to someone who hasn't fully grieved her infertility, but DH says I am overthinking it all and that I gave a good, heartfelt answer.  He thinks we "nailed it" and had a good interview.  I, however, am always the pessimist (aka "realist") and think that there has got to be someone better and more qualified / more perfect than us for them to select.

As they got done with their questions, they asked if we had any questions, so I asked them how many spots they were interviewing for.  They have 6 spots open (19 other couples are already waiting to be matched; they complete 6 - 9 adoptions per year).  We are one of 16 couples they are interviewing this week and then they will meet with Renee in the Omaha office to make their final selections.  They are going to call us back next week to let us know if we are or aren't selected into their program (they plan to call us either way).  If we are selected, there are 4 days of training + the home study to be done in the next few months.  They are on the ball ~ it sounds like the process would move quicker than Luke's adoption paperwork process.

At this point, DH and I have done all we can do.  We prayed together in the car before the interview that God's will be done.  I've prayed in adoration and during daily prayer.  Friends and family have prayed for us.  He has a plan for us and the outcome of the decision from this agency will determine that.  We will be patient and trust in His plans for us and growing our family.

~ Thank you for praying for us and our interview today  ~  


8 comments:

  1. I would have been a nervous wreck! It sounds like you and your DH handled it well. Honestly, I don't think anyone fully gets rid of the grief from infertility. My friend who has become a mom through adoption 4 times has said it still hurts every now and again. I am praying for you and I hope they select you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sincerely hope they don't dock you for crying! I think it just shows you have a tender heart and wanted to be a mom a lot - that's a huge plus in my book :) At an info session for the agency we're going to use, the director emphasized that it is OK to feel sad about infertility while adopting - and even after adopting. I think the grief is something you learn to live with and carry well, but that doesn't mean it gets reduced down to zero. Blessings and prayers for peace while you wait for the results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your updates! I will pray you are chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck! The emotions come to the surface from time to time. You showed them that you have feelings and that you have a heart. I cried during my interview as well. It is really hard when they start to ask you about your pain and loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like it went well. You are in my prayers. If they see what we see of you in your posts, the choice should be a no-brainer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think still having deep feelings means that you haven't dealt with things. It just means that you felt it deeply. I wasn't there, but from what you've said here, I can't imagine them not picking you because of that. I would think that your honesty and openness would be a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If they see what we see of you in your posts, the choice should be a no-brainer!


    หีฟิต

    ReplyDelete