Luke has really loved learning all the A,B,C's and also has a love of animals. His therapists have worked with him really well on harnessing his love for both during his therapy sessions. We also read to him before nap time and bed time (I read all the titles to him in a similar way he is "reading", by running my finger below the words as I say them ~ so he figures out why I'm saying what I'm saying).
I am so happy and proud ~ Luke has been doing really great in the last few weeks in talking more, using more words and phrases, and even learning a new sign for "again" and repeating it, asking to read/do something "again." I don't know exactly why things have been clicking, but I have a few ideas. I asked Jesus at my Holy Hour to please help Luke learn to talk more and He is answering my prayers. I also specifically asked Miss Courtney from Passionate Perseverance for her intercession in helping Luke talk. My prayers began specifically in the first part of December in Holy Hour, where I finally "realized" that I have something to pray about. Usually I am the one praying for another's intention, but for some reason the lightbulb went on and I realized I could "pray for myself and my family" too. It was more like a (((facepalm))) moment.
Almost a year ago now, I'd posted about how Luke had his initial speech analysis appointment on April 3rd, 2014 (one day after he turned 2), as he wasn't saying anything that even resembled a word (other than "ticka-ticka-ticka") and stringing enough syllables together to form a sentence or a conversation. If he wanted something, he either grunted/whined, screamed or pointed his arm in that general direction and DH and I would have to figure out just what he wanted. We were (and still are) pretty good at reading his non-verbal cues, but when others would post about all the cute things their kids were saying and they were about the same age, I knew in the back of my mind that something was up.
Fast forward to almost 9 months later, Luke goes to see Emily on Tuesdays and Thursdays for 30 minutes each, he sees Jill & Colleen once a month for an hour, and he participates in a Toddler Group with 3 other little boys his age once a month for an hour (all have similar developmental problems). DH and I also have been working with Luke at home in repeating words, more animated gestures, and the like, all while encouraging Luke to look at our mouths as we say and form words ... so he will get the idea. Now Luke is really good at observing and mimicking what others are doing - especially his favorite TV shows and movies. He has learned several new words that way.
We stopped at the local Children's Museum in town and had some fun together on Saturday. This video shows how much he is saying and interacting now ... some of his words are still jibber jabber, but he has the "bear" and the "hop, hop, hop" down, as well as his version of the sign for "all done". It is such a blessing that his communication is improving! It means much less stress for everyone involved.
http://youtu.be/IdEnaCjfv7k
33 Words Luke is Saying as of Today: (more for a mom-record, than anything):
- door (doaaah) (thanks to "Bo on the Go" for that!)
- key (kiii) (another thanks to "Bo")
- red (-ed)
- green (gee)
- blue (boo)
- pink (piik)
- up (up)
- down (dow)
- more (mooooooar)
- two (tooo)
- one (won)
- toot toot (what he calls all trains)
- cow (mooooo)
- alligator (a-di-gogadagogadagogada-tohr)
- horse (neigh)
- bear (beaaah)
- pig (piiii)
- tiger (tiiigahhh)
- O the Owl (from Daniel Tiger) - a loud yell of "OH!"
- poo (pooo)
- hi - (hi ma! hi da! hi kiiiii (hi kitty) ... he will wave to us when he says it!)
- bye - (bye ma! bye da! bye kiiii (bye kitty ... he will wave bye as well)
- no - (no ma! no da!)
- Here you are (heeee 'ya ahhhh)
- go (go)
- moon (mooon)
- star (staahhh)
- car (caaaahh)
- mad (maaahh)
- want (wahhh) (he has said "wahhh i-Pahhh" for "want iPad" several times now)
- oh no! (oh no!)
- oh man! (oh mahh)
- tape (pete) (he says it backwards I think ... we read it in the book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" and the mouse asks for Scotch Tape. Luke then started saying "pete" instead of tape. :-)
33 Words Luke is Saying as of Today: (more for a mom-record, than anything):
- door (doaaah) (thanks to "Bo on the Go" for that!)
- key (kiii) (another thanks to "Bo")
- red (-ed)
- green (gee)
- blue (boo)
- pink (piik)
- up (up)
- down (dow)
- more (mooooooar)
- two (tooo)
- one (won)
- toot toot (what he calls all trains)
- cow (mooooo)
- alligator (a-di-gogadagogadagogada-tohr)
- horse (neigh)
- bear (beaaah)
- pig (piiii)
- tiger (tiiigahhh)
- O the Owl (from Daniel Tiger) - a loud yell of "OH!"
- poo (pooo)
- hi - (hi ma! hi da! hi kiiiii (hi kitty) ... he will wave to us when he says it!)
- bye - (bye ma! bye da! bye kiiii (bye kitty ... he will wave bye as well)
- no - (no ma! no da!)
- Here you are (heeee 'ya ahhhh)
- go (go)
- moon (mooon)
- star (staahhh)
- car (caaaahh)
- mad (maaahh)
- want (wahhh) (he has said "wahhh i-Pahhh" for "want iPad" several times now)
- oh no! (oh no!)
- oh man! (oh mahh)
- tape (pete) (he says it backwards I think ... we read it in the book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" and the mouse asks for Scotch Tape. Luke then started saying "pete" instead of tape. :-)
This will make the nonstop talking all the sweeter! :)
ReplyDeleteYay!!! Way to go Luke!!!!! :)
ReplyDeletePraise God, that must have melted your heart!!!
ReplyDeleteLove it!! Plus he will have good page orientation when it's time for school!! Love his words! How neat they have a small group session, that's really a good idea.
ReplyDeleteAwesome video of him talking with the bears! I how he is imitating that they are having a conversation with each other. Elizabeth cracks me up at night when she sits in her overflowing crib and carries on conversations with her animals. I seriously should tape it just to have a record of it.
ReplyDeleteSpeech has been absolutely a God send for Elizabeth. She doesn't stop talking now…I love hearing what she will say next. Her vocabulary is exploding. Though she still struggles with some articulation, it is 100 times better than she was a year ago when we first had her evaluated.
Keep up the great work Luke (and mom and dad)!