Sunday, January 27, 2013

Getting Ear Tubes

Last Friday, Luke got tubes placed in his ears.  I was so glad he was able to have it done.  We have had 3 ear infections (4 if you count that the 3rd infection lasted a month!) each month since October.  That's an infection on Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas & mid-January (even during his ear-tube surgery!).  We've tried all kinds of treatments to get the ear infections to go away & stay away, but they never would.  Lots of antibiotics and one set of tubes later, we have hopefully had our last infection.  I felt so bad that Luke was constantly having to take meds & just wasn't his happy self on some days.  Some days he would just cry.  That was upsetting.

The surgery was last Friday, scheduled for 8 am.  We arrived at 6:45 am in our Sponge Bob pj's to the registration desk.  Luke hadn't had anything to eat since midnight (that in and of itself was traumatic!), but he did really good.  We got vitals & just hung out in the hour and fifteen minutes until surgery.  It was fun entertaining a very hungry child, let me just say ...


There was another young baby girl who was also in for ear tubes, but she was older than Luke, so Luke got to go first (I think due to fasting).  While in the waiting room, Luke & the little baby would peek at each other from below the privacy curtain ... it was so cute!  Luke would get down on his belly & stick his rump in the air & just smile at her.  She would giggle back.  Just adorable!  <3


We didn't go back to the OR with him.  A nurse took him back.  He didn't scream or cry when she took him back (odd, due to his "only mommy can touch me" phase he's been in for a few months now).  About 10 minutes later, we could hear him crying ... he was all done!  The nurses had told us before hand that babies don't take well to anesthesia wearing off.  Babies are usually unfamiliar with why they feel so "weird" that they cry and cry and cry.  And Luke did just that.  He was inconsolable for about 30-40 minutes.  It was frustrating & a little emotional to say the least.  For being the mom who can console Luke just by holding him, this time I couldn't do that.  Even with holding him & whispering to him & kissing him, I couldn't make it better.  Even a bottle wouldn't stop his cries.  He just didn't know what to do.  He would drink his bottle, then pull off & cry.  Then start drinking again, then pull off and cry.  The nurse who was monitoring him, I have to give credit to.  She must have seen how frustrated I was, as she kept reassuring me that this is normal ... he will be okay ... just do what you can.  I honestly can't imagine what mothers of children who endure major surgery feel like.  This was tough.

We left the outpatient surgical hospital by 10 am & went home.  Luke slept for about 4 hours, then was up about 2 pm.  He drank a bottle & was back to his rowdy self ... he smiled, posed for pictures & videos & then proceeded to climb all over the couch screeching & grinning.  I was so very glad to see him perk back up so quickly!



(Watching Dora on TV)

Now, a week later, we are back to being sick.  This time, not from ear infections (I hope), but from a virus from some of the day care kids (oh, the joy!).  It starts with a cough (which he presented on Thursday & for sure right after daycare on Friday) and then moves into a runny nose (all day today!) and a fever (we were up to 102.9 as of 1:30 am).  I like daycare for the sociability, but NOT for the communicable diseases that are spread like wildfire to all the kids!  I think everyone who has been at daycare has had this wonderful disease.  Ugh. Currently, Luke is down to 100.2 degrees, so hopefully the fever is going away, and the runny nose is too! 




In other news ... I believe I have finally finished Luke's room!  Yes ... only 9 months after Luke came home, I have put most of the finishing touches on his room (walls, mainly).  I will take some pictures & post them.  I realize I have yet to do this for my living room, which I painted a few months ago.  It is never "clean enough."  LOL

17 comments:

  1. Oh poor Luke has just been through the ringer with sickness! I will pray that he recovers fast and his immune system gets stronger. It is hard w/ daycare the sickness spreads so fast. I used to work in a daycare and I would even get sick if a virus stayed around long enough. That is so cute about Luke and the other baby waiting at the hospital. I love how they communicate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little guy! I remember ear infections and they are so uncomfortable! I'm glad he did so well with the surgery, even though it was tough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Luke. :( Hopefully he feels 100% soon! He is SO adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well he looks great so hopefully he'll be back to perfect soon! Don't worry--we've lived here for 3 months and I still haven't hung all the pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad he is feeling better! Poor little guy :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Luke! Hope he feels better soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear your poor little one isn't feeling well! These colds that are going around are so wicked.

    He has the greatest smile - love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad the the tube surgery went well. Kids bounce back soo quickly. The bugs that are going around are not so fun right now, so I hope he kicks it quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "We arrived at 6:45 am in our Sponge Bob pj's to the registration desk."
    So you wore your pajamas too to the hospital? I just have to tease you.

    I'm glad his surgery is behind you, and he reverted back to being rowdy on the same day.

    Hopefully his fever is gone by now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lena, lol!!! :-D. I didn't realize I gave away my adult Sponge Bob pj fetish. :-D. Oh dear ... So much for proof reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh sweet boy! So glad he got the tubes and hopefully he'll be healthy (well after he gets over what he has now!!!) for a very long time!!! He's so adorable-especially that one picture of him peeking under the curtain! :)

    I can't wait to see pictures of his room!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cutie :) love those pjs! I hope he's 100% healthy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Olivia had a tonsillectomy last year, at age 4, and that was really hard even though she was old enough to understand what we were saying about how weird she felt. She was nauseated and her throat hurt and she was just a mess for the entire 10 days of recovery. It's hard to watch your kids suffer like that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor lil guy! Hope the ear tubes help him. And here's to no more ear infections! Love the pics if him in his Jammies- so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope he starts to feel much better soon! He is absolutely precious - love all the pics :).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know how I got behind on so many of my blogs, but I am back subscribed and catching up. I am so happy for you and your cutie boy! C got tubes at 15 months, best thing we ever ever did. I can only say, don't miss any follow ups. We did the immediate one, but forgot we were supposed to come back every six months or something like that. AJ was born and I don't know what happened. However, his pediatrician (as most) was not equipped to monitor and the result was incomplete healing and a perforated ear drum (huge-20%) that will like not heal on his own. He has temp hearing loss and will have to have another surgery to repair it when he is 8 or 9. So the surgery was still the best thing we ever did, just feel horrible I dropped the ball and it lead to where we are now. Your luke is such a cutie patooty!

    ReplyDelete