5 weeks old
6 weeks old
After Bath Time ... Luke really likes his baths!
Hanging out with the kitties ... soon he'll think he's a cat.
Mommy decided to do a cute photo op. Daddy wasn't happy about it. He thought Luke would get scratched, but Mommy knows her kitties. :-)
Luke (1-1/2 months) & cousin Jayden (3-1/2 months)
Babies are fed and happy .. for the moment!
Hubby facilitating the cousins hanging out ... so much to see! (Who's this kid again?)
This last week (since Monday the 14th), I've been back at work full time and hubby has been at home. He took a week's vacation. Next week Luke starts daycare. Gulp. It's not my hearts desire to have him in daycare at all, but we aren't able to go down to just one salary.
I guess we could, but it would mean selling a lot of things and prevent any future infertility treatments or adoptions, so back to work I go. I have a company that is depending on me to be back so they can operate, otherwise 2 other people are out of a job as well. It was nice for the last seven years how everyone depended on me to get things done, but there are downsides as well, as I can see now ... I am now invaluable ... literally. Of course, who knows what the future will bring, as the owner is having failing health and episodes with his heart, which may cause total heart failure and then we would be out of a job as a result. I was filled in on the owner's health on Monday when I got back to work.
It was definitely surreal going in on Monday. It felt a little like "normal", where I kind of forgot that we adopted Luke and I wasn't gone for 6 weeks, but other things, like operating a mouse and keyboard, were so unfamiliar and felt weird. I missed Luke like crazy those first few hours, as I LOVED lots of time every day with him for the last six weeks and then I had to go cold turkey and deal with grownups. Ugh. Luckily, my hubby sent me pics all day of what they were doing and recorded Luke's cute breathing so I could hear him sigh and wheeze like he does. I'm so thankful for smart phones. What would I do without them?
We met the day care lady a few weeks ago, who will take care of Luke next week. She is nice and has been working with kids for over 20 years. She has the nicest home and it is bright with lots of fun kid things to do. Out of all the options, she was the best. And let me tell you ... there were some CRAZY day care people / homes out there! I had one lady with both eyebrows pierced and I think her tongue pierced too. And she said she wouldn't tell the kids she loved them if they said it to her. Some unusual reason, I guess. She was the first one crossed off! A lot of the rest of them had smaller, older, dark homes and cramped quarters. Most were single moms, so I understand that they don't have the easiest time sprucing up their home, but some were just dirty. I'm not sure how some people would trust their kids to their care. It would make me feel so uneasy. I like the socialization factor but hate the germs. Any crazy day care stories out there?
I'm just worried about how she'll care for Luke and how much she'll hold him and interact with him. She had several other kids there when I visited and they were very well mannered and polite, so I'm sure that she takes good care of them, it just must be mommy nerves. I'm worried about Luke being too cold and what to dress him in as they can't have blankets in their playpens. I guess I'll give her the swaddler onesie we have and maybe dress him in a long sleeved onesie for daily wear. I'm sure as he gets older he can dress in lighter clothes since he'll be moving around a lot. Advice?
I have yet to get pictures to Luke's birth parents. I've been "trying" for the last six weeks, but you can see how far I've gotten ... nowhere! I've been trying to load them onto an iPhoto journal that they could access (hubby will have to tell me how to do it), but I'm not sure if there is a better way. I'm hoping to load lots of photos and add captions below some of them, so they know who is in the picture, besides Luke. Also, they can print out any photos they want. Any good suggestions for sites for sharing photos? I think doing a separate blog wouldn't have enough room for all the pictures I want.
In more exciting news, on Monday, we will be going to court at 9 am to finalize Luke's adoption in the court! Then he will be ours "officially"!!!! Pictures to follow!




He is so cute!! And huge! Isn't it crazy how fast they grow? The newborn stage is just so dang short. J looks like a giant rolling baby now, and it feels like just last week he was a tiny little newborn.
ReplyDeleteDaycare is hard. L was in three days a week daycare when I was working full time (she's only there one day a week now. So grateful for work at home jobs). It took us a while to find a set up we like though. We went through a couple of different systems and finally found this lady we love. She is awesome with the kids and her house is always perfectly clean. Anyway, my point is that if you end up not liking the set up you have now, keep looking! I'm sure Luke will be fine with parents who love him so much :)
So cute! Looks like you're doing a good job, mommy!
ReplyDeleteCute pictures. I pray that all goes well in your transition back to work and Luke going to outside care!
ReplyDeleteSo exciting that Monday he will be yours forever!
I just love looking at pictures of him! Keeps me going that God's timing is perfect and that I won't wait too much longer...
ReplyDeleteI love the kitties and Luke, so precious! Prayers that all go well at court and day care!
Luke is soo cute.. so my crazy daycare story. Had to help my sister find care for her 2 in 24hours.. somewhere that would take the 2 1/2 yr old & 4 1/2 month. They are with a super nice lady; daycare in her house. B the 4 1/2 month old won't let daycare lady hold him. (he's a breastfed baby). He will only take a bottle from her if he is in a bouncy or his car seat.
ReplyDeleteYay for finalization!!! I'm already dreading going back to work...I have to bc hubs is self employed and we need insurance. Praying for peace in your heart next week.
ReplyDeleteHow does Luke love baths?? Hoping Samuel will take some notes soon...he doesn't like people messing with him!
ReplyDeleteInteresting to heat about work and daycare. We looked into two daycare centers but he's not even eligible for one and they didn't have any openings. How did you find the home care centers? We are trying to work our schedules so that we can boy care for him and ill go down to only part time bur I have no idea how I'm going to leave him right now...luckily I have some time before we have to deal with that.
I love your posts and reading about what life is like as a new adoptive mom. You continue to inspire me. Hooray for finalization day approaching!!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on finalization happening soon! Ours is coming up as well - oof, it's taken forever (minimum one year for La. adoptions).
ReplyDeleteLove all the pics :).
wow so much is happening and you are handling it all with such grace and poise!!!
ReplyDeleteFinalization day coming soon?
I am over the moon for you and have i also mentioned so impressed!!!!
You are a great
mommy!!!!
Several things: 1. Get an external hard drive. It's where we store all of our photos now. Very reliable. 2. I have never sent Olivia to daycare, but when she was 18 months, I started watching kids in my home. Made a HUGE difference. Even though she, personally, did not get as much attention anymore, she didn't need it as much because she was socializing. She and the other kids entertain each other. It is very nice. I think he'll adjust well to daycare. And since he'll get exclusive attention at home, he'll still know that Mommy and Daddy are the bestest! 3. Olivia's birthmom doesn't do the computer so much, so we've always had to be good about sending photos. At first, I just started printing my fave photos at W*lM*rt (by loading them online and picking them up), but later I'd send a photo book for occasions. Like a photo book of 1st year pictures...highlights from Christmas and birthday, stuff like that. Makes them easy access for her so she's not sorting through a stack of photos.
ReplyDeletelOVE THE PHOTOS!!
ReplyDelete